Sax on the Web Forum banner

Do you expect a return policy

• Always - I want all my money back if it isn't the one for me.

• Yes, but a restocking fee is fair

• No, if I don't like it I'll just sell it on

• Other (please explain)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In the case of regularly stocked items, if it is returned in pristine, re-sellable condition, full refund.
This seems fair, and is basically what I do. As I said above, it is as if you tried it in a shop. They will (or should) sanitise it and put it back on the shelf. Shops don't charge for that. With online selling, once you take out the shipping (as you mentioned) the only loss is the time and inconvenience of the accounting work in regard to stock and credit note.

·
Registered
562 Posts
A return policy fee is essential and the policy logistics should be determined by the company (not the customer).
Many companies charge this type of fee. An example: Allen Edmonds charges a 25.00 fee for returning brand new factory 2nds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The question is pretty broad, but I personally feel a lot more comfortable buying a mouthpiece when I know that if it doesn't meet my expectations, I can return it with no questions asked. Of course, there's bound to be a handful of people per the thousand or the ten thousand who would abuse this kind of policy. But the amount of time and/or money saved from refusing to accept returns would probably be outweighed by an increase in sales due to people feeling more comfortable knowing that their purchase can be refunded. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
In the U.K. i think Dawkes and Woodwind and Brass in Cambridge get it about right a small fee to try 3 or 4 ive never had a problem just return how you would like to find them .

·
Registered
43 Posts
For mouthpieces in particular, I think a reasonable restocking fee is well justified. Even if the piece comes back pristine, the manufacturer needs at minimum through a thorough cleaning and sterilizing process before it can be sold again. There is no reason why the manufacturer should bear that cost alone for a "trial and don't like" return.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,561 Posts
I have no issue with a restocking fee, but have made a firm decision to never deal with anyone who has a strict no return policy.

·
13,347 Posts
I probably have no more than a dozen pieces returned a year…possibly less. I jist consider processing returns part of doing business. If players put their trust in me the least I can do is the best I can do. A little effort is no big deal. IMHO its petty to charge a cleaning feel and charging more, despite what people say, is an additional barrier between you and the piece you may love. Its pointless.

·
29,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I probably have no more than a dozen pieces returned a year…possibly less.
Same here, although no doubt I sell a lot less (ahem... I mean fewer). And many of those are because the cusomer bought two with the inteion of returning one.

I also don't charge the fee, although I do advertise it as discretionary. In reality if all I need do is sanitise then that is fine, but I will charge if there is work to be done - but my case is different in that I often need to send back to Ed.

In this case though:

Unfortunately the mouthpiece does not
quite have the response I was looking for so I would like to return it
please. I have looked after it well and it is totally as-new. Other then the
response, which is a very personal thing, I am very impressed by the quality of
the mouthpiece in terms of machining and finish. I am very happy to forfeit
your expected profit from this sale to go to your charity when you profide

my refund.

I took his kind donation as offered and recommended he try a Phil-Tone.

·
29,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hahaha…the guy who mangled your mouthpiece is not welcome at my doorstep:)
No this is something completely different. This is nice return as opposed to previous nasty return

·
Registered
18 Posts
Twice Ive used Dawkes and Headwind for testing mouthpieces as they allow Returns. Dawkes have a restocking fee of £3 each and free delivery but I have to pay for return. Tbh I was quite happy with the small fee, but even better when there's is none.

When I went to return my pieces I did notice a mark on one of them and was gutted as I was feeling compelled to then purchase it.
Luckily I had taken lots of photos when I received them and could see that the mark was there already, so I presume it was a piece that was not brand new.

I'd always suggest people take photos when they arrive.

·
29,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Luckily I had taken lots of photos when I received them and could see that the mark was there already, so I presume it was a piece that was not brand new.
That is not good if they are sending out as new what should be sold as used.
Part of a restocking fee would involve careful inspection to make sure no damaged items get back into the stock.

·
13,347 Posts
I just rebuilt a vandoren piece that was supposed to be straight from the shop. I know for a fact that vandoren never sent out a piece like this. It was clearly hacked on by an idiot and then returned. They sold it to my customer as new. It was a serious salvage job to get it playing better than new. Obviously no one with a clue checked the piece

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I don't mind paying return postage, but am not too keen on paying a restocking fee. If the mouthpiece was not good as new when returned I don't mind the seller deducting that from the refund.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think a small restocking fee would be reasonable, to cover the time the mouthpiece maker needs to making the mouthpiece ready for a next buyer.
And looking at Pete's photo in the opening post ... no way that I would dare to send back a mouthpiece like that. In fact, if I would cause a blemish or a spot, I would first discuss that with the seller before initiating the return process.

·
29,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
but am not too keen on paying a restocking fee.
With large retailers it can possibly be a good thing. They need to pay for restocking somehow and the othe way would be to just inflate the selling price and spreda the cost across all customers, whether they return or not. If they charge a restocking fee it means that only those who take advantage of a returns policy have to pay for the restocking. But somehow it has to be taken into account. o

·
13,347 Posts
Accidents can happen when you try a piece. Its important that you understand that if you are in a trial period you essentially have someone else’s property. Most players have high levels of responsibility. The rest need to ask themselves how they would feel if they let someone trial their horn for sale and the guy brought it back with scratches and dents. Things like Pete got back are not the cost of doing business. Its the cost of jerks on this planet. Im glad he sent it back to the guy. The only bad thing is he could not charge him additional postage and fees

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Accidents can happen when you try a piece.
Agree, accidents can always happen, even when you're careful.
Its important that you understand that if you are in a trial period you essentially have someone else’s property.
This! If something happens with a mouthpiece you're testing, then discuss it with the seller before sending the mouthpiece back.

Following the simple rule: "what would your mom say if she knew what you're doing?" ;-)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I see points to each option. But, it's going to vary based on the seller and condition. Also, I'm going to read the policy before I order, and know what I'm in for.
"Always - I want all my money back if it isn't the one for me." - I expect this from the big box stores. Times have changed, but I really appreciate when they would send multiples, usually limited to 3-4, and be willing to take back those not chosen, gratis. I also expect this with used mouthpieces from retailers. Used is still used, whether it's been tested once, twice, etc.
"Yes, but a restocking fee is fair" - Totally fair. Need to sanitize the product before putting it back in stock. Also taking a chance sending out a product as new, and hoping to get it back in like-new condition. May also need to label it as open-box.
"No, if I don't like it I'll just sell it on" - I've done this. I have a couple of pieces I don't particularly like, but kept to have an example in my collection. And if someone ever asks if I have it, I won't feel bad parting.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts