Sax on the Web Forum banner

Do you expect a return policy

• Always - I want all my money back if it isn't the one for me.

• Yes, but a restocking fee is fair

• No, if I don't like it I'll just sell it on

• Other (please explain)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(NB: the poll above is not in regard to items deemed as faulty - obviously there is a return under warranty in that case)

I think all mouthpiece makers have some kind of a return policy (obviously not on actual custom made though)

It used to be a return policy was very useful for both mouthpiece producers and consumers. In the EU, distance selling laws mean that a return policy is mandatory and must be offered. There are obvious exceptions such as underwear you have tried on.

Theoretically I think this is great, very often people might buy two or three then keep one and get refunded on the returned ones. However new policies of Paypal mean they no longer refund the seller the fee for returns, so basically unless we charge restocking, then we could be paying for someone to try out a mouthpiece. Add to that another (new?) EU policy that sellers should also refund the postage and times is getting tough. I hate to charge "restocking" but maybe itb is the only way to go.

What do you think?

BTW here is one of the returns I got. See what we are up against. The customer at least used a patch but did complain about the restocking fee.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,193 Posts
Dang that scratch is ridiculously deep.... Must have been one of those FL ligs that was too small.

Sorry you're having to go through that Pete. I hate how things start out as good idea and get ruined by overregulation. Restocking fee is the only way IMO. I also think I need to check my sales. Its just a reverb page, but maybe I need to mark "as is" on all my listings to protect myself better from losing out on funds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,437 Posts
I would not accept that level of damage on a return. If its something I can buff out I will charge a fee for my time. On the flip side I dont use paypal. It may cost me four or five sales a year but I make as many oieces as I want to. I think players who respect the time period and return pieces in excellent condition deserve a full refund minus shipping unless its a custom order. I feel restocking fees are punitive. I would not buy a piece that I could not return. High level pieces have a high price tag. There are arrangements that can be fair to all.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I think restocking fee is a small and fair price people should pay to try your product. It makes no sense to me that you'd have to pay for people to try them out.
And unless it's returned in the same condition as when you shipped them out, I would not issue a full refund either.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would not accept that level of damage on a return. If its something I can buff out I will charge a fee for my time. On the flip side I dont use paypal. It may cost me four or five sales a year but I make as many oieces as I want to. I think players who respect the time period and return pieces in excellent condition deserve a full refund minus shipping unless its a custom order. I feel restocking fees are punitive. I would not buy a piece that I could not return. High level pieces have a high price tag. There are arrangements that can be fair to all.
I agree with this except that I am fine with restocking fees in certain clearly defined situations. I didn't take the poll as it is too general.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I do not expect it but I really like it when it is there, and am veeeery cautious when it is not (to the point that many times I just didn't try to buy just because of it's absence).

It is kind of a gentleman's attitude.
And a restocking fee is only fair.

·
13,437 Posts
Its nice that people are open to restock fees. It does show respect for craftsmen. I just dont feel comfortable charging them. If its an odd tip size or something like that I consider it but for a piece I know I can turn around and resell in no time, it just doesnt seem like a friendly playing field. I like the work I do and the relationship I have with players. Inviting bad feelings into the process is just a buzzkill and not worth a few bucks.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,291 Posts
I have once or twice returned a new mouthpiece that did not work out for me. There was no restocking fee, but I bore the cost of return shipping, if memory serves. That seems fair enough.

But if a piece is not returned in the condition in which it was received, then I see no problem in the seller refusing to accept the return, or only issuing a partial return, whether or not called a restocking fee.

For used mouthpieces, such as those sold by sax players (not vendors) in the marketplace here, I do not expect any return policy, unless the mouthpiece is clearly not as represented , ie damaged or a different piece or size, etc. But not because the buyer just didn’t like it. In those cases, youse pays your money and youse takes your chances. I’ve resold a couple of mouthpieces I got here that I didn’t like. Sometimes I lost some money as a result, but you have to pay to play sometimes.

But for new pieces from a mouthpiece vendor, I prefer when they offer full refunds excluding return shipping costs for any reason, provided the piece is not damaged.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have also stopped using paypal- I use Zelle or Venmo or the like. It does make it difficult, but honestly I'd rather pay wire transfer fees than Paypal fees.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just dont feel comfortable charging them. If its an odd tip size or something like that I consider it but for a piece I know I can turn around and resell in no time,
Me too. I will on a custom order (e.g. I want it a purple one with a tip opening of 6*** and my name engraved on the shank) and I do beieve in that case the paypal policy does not apply.

I realy instigate the restocking fee. I have it on the policy just in case of things like the above example.

Spookily enough I just got this after starting the thread which I think is lovely:

Unfortunately the mouthpiece does not
quite have the response I was looking for so I would like to return it
please. I have looked after it well and it is totally as-new. Other then the
response, which is a very personal thing, I am very impressed by the quality of
the mouthpiece in terms of machining and finish. I am very happy to forfeit
your expected profit from this sale to go to your charity when you profide
my refund.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,075 Posts
This is why it’s just not worth buying and selling mouthpieces. Too much effort.

I don’t charge any fees for returns and have been lucky enough that customers have been very careful when trying the pieces. On the other hand, I don’t mind paying a restocking fee when I dislike or don’t prefer a mouthpiece. I returned a soprano piece lately that was subject to a restocking fee.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think a restocking fee or sanitation fee for returning mouth pieces is fair. This seems reasonable, especially in a pandemic.

The larger retailers such as Woodwind brasswind charge one as well. Here's what they say on their site about returns.

All returned woodwind and brasswind instruments played by mouth incur a $10.00 sanitization fee. Returned bows are assessed a $8.00 return handling charge. Returned mouthpieces priced over $300.00 incur a $8.00 sanitization fee; the fee for mouthpieces $299.99 and less incur a $4.00 sanitization fee

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
First, it seems to me that only after playing a mouthpiece for a while would I really know if it will work for me or not. After just a few hours, I don’t think I’d know. Given that, if it doesn’t work for me after all that time, then I wouldn’t try to return or sell it.

I have two mouthpieces I bought new many years ago, based on reputation and tip opening. They really don’t work for me. The only other mouthpiece I have is about 15 years old and it works. I have no idea what it is, though. No markings on it. I had a tech measure some dimensions, but nothing really duplicates it. Doesn’t matter - I don’t hunt around or have much interest trying mouthpieces.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
328 Posts
I have no problem with restocking fees on mouth pieces purchased online or in a store. Product must be made new for sales. If a product is damaged, according to a published definition, no return. But it should always be clearly stated upfront what a return will look like.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I certainly don't mind paying a restocking fee - it's a small price to pay for trying out a piece over a few days in your own home, or even at a rehearsal, rather than a couple of hours in a music shop practice room.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,274 Posts
I once requested an exchange for mouthpiece to get one that was more open. The vendor is a member of this forum and located in Europe generously agreed. I wrote exactly what I had paid for it on the customs form, but also that it was a return. I paid for full insurance as well. The mouthpiece sat in customs forever and was apparently not released until said vendor paid import fees. As result, I ended up paying both import and restocking fees, which was another live and learn experience. However, it was truly bizarre to receive an angry lecture for having declared actual value on the customs declaration; in hindsight probably well intended. It did strike me then as an effective measure to discourage any future returns: "No problem, just send it back, but please be aware that you will pay ~20% import fees plus xx% restocking fee".

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I’m happy to pay a nominal restock fee, reselling a mpc right now is a dreadful process it seems.

However, I would like to point out for a mpc maker not to accept PayPal is disappointing . My PayPal credit line is my only mpc fund really, so that eliminates a mpc possibility

·
8,470 Posts
Instead of a restocking fee, how about a rent to own type of arrangement?
Buyer rents the piece for a set amount of time (EG: 1 Month) and pays the provider the purchase price in full.
If not happy with piece after a month he/she can return piece and receive a full refund minus a months rent (perhaps 10%).
Piece is assessed by seller upon return for any damage and a fee for repair is charged or a return refused.
Not unreasonable really.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm happy with the idea of a restocking fee but don't try mouthpieces by mail order because I don't see how you can expect to try out an HR mouthpiece properly without leaving traces. I would expect to have complaints from the vendor as I'm sure I would either leave some marks or would be so paranoid that I couldn't try the piece properly.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
A re-stocking fee is only fair. Someone has to go through the bother of packing and shipping the mouthpiece and then will have to sanitize and re-stock it if it's returned. Why shouldn't that person get paid for doing the work. I also believe that if the mouthpiece is damaged in any way the buyer then owns it and should pay the full cost.

Back in the day I used to order mouthpieces from WWBW, sometimes three at a time. I always took care to keep them pristine and any I sent back I was fully onboard with the re-stocking fee.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts