Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for a mouthpiece that has more of a contemporary sound to it.

My current set up is great for jazz, rock, and funk, but I'm also looking for a more 'modern sound.

This is a bit like the sound I'm aiming for:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7RGTH9ieQBI

Yes, I realize that he's put in countless hours of practice, and that he's playing a Mark VI :), but any help would still be appreciated.

I suppose the sound I'm looking for would be 'contemporary' and 'lyrical'.

·
Registered
451 Posts
For the sound you are looking for, the easiest way to obtain it would be to look into the high baffle pieces, such as Dukoff "D" chambers, Guardalas, Barone Contemporary, Berg Larsen "0" and "1" chambers, Vandoren Jumbo Java, etc...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just noticed you're looking for an alto mouthpiece. The guy in the clip was playing tenor obviously, but all my sugestions still hold true to alto pieces.

With a high baffle piece, you will get that contemporary sound, but it will usually be a a cost of a thinner tone quality. The best way to achieve the contemporary tone (in my opinion), is to take a lesser baffle piece (such as a RPC roll-over) and just practice long tones. You might not be able to compete with the loudest guitars with amps set at "11", but the RPC will have enough volume and edge that you need in any situation, without sacrificing tone quality.

I myself, play a Berg though. Duckbilled 90/2/m "P" model stainless Berg. This piece blows a lot like the RPC or a perfect Meyer. I love it!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't a piece with a high baffle make more of an edge to my tone though?

After making my original post, I practiced with my Meyer again, and found out that I can make a contemporary tone. I suppose I was just hooked on the marketing hype that a new mouthpiece will change my tone :).

Ahh I need to get my Meyer perfected though. Right now, it plays great, even though the rails are un-even (left side is like, 2x thicker than the right) and the facing is messed up (right side is higher than left side).

Thanks for the reply though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts