Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mouthpiece recommendations

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  pumseig 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some recommendations for a LARGE chambered relatively inexpensive baritone piece.
My bari sax plays flat throughout most of the horn. It is in good regulation, without leaks, so I don't
think it's a problem with the sax. I recently had a conversation with my tech about this, and he asked
what mouthpiece I was using. I use either a Metalite or Brilhart Level-Air. I think both of these are
small chambered. He suggested trying a large chamber piece and this might bring the instrument in tune.

Suggestions?

#2 ·
It might help if you let us know the make and model of your bari.

#4 ·
Well it's true that many vintage baris have fewer intonation issues with larger chambered mouthpiece but typically you look for a large chambered piece if your horn is playing sharp not flat.

Another issue is that the 2 pieces you presently have are relatively bright playing pieces with some baffle and (I'm guessing here a bit) probably tip openings that would be considered more or less "normal" for modern bari pieces. Most old school vintage large chamber "pickle barrel" type pieces have little baffle and small tips so they may not produce the sound you want.

You may want to split the difference and try something like a Link or a Berg.

#5 ·
Well it's true that many vintage baris have fewer intonation issues with larger chambered mouthpiece but typically you look for a large chambered piece if your horn is playing sharp not flat.

That's what I always thought also. But my tech suggested otherwise, and I want to at least try a larger chamber.

You may want to split the difference and try something like a Link or a Berg.
I was thinking possibly a hard rubber Link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.