Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a replacement for my Otto Link STM tenor mouthpiece. It was a case find from a new horn, and I have tried for the last few months to love it. Despite this, I simply can't get comfortable playing on a metal mouthpiece!

It would be amazing if anyone could give me a recommendation for a hard rubber mouthpiece on the darker end of the spectrum. I aim to get a sound somewhere close to Dexter Gordon. I've used a Meyer HR 6 for several years but ever since I got a new horn, it has seemed way too bright for me.

Preferably, I would like to keep the price under $250 USD.

I typically play on a Legere Signature 2.75 reed with Lavoz Medium Hards as backups.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
How about a Link hard rubber? Nailing down the sound of Dexter when he had his Conn and Dukoff Hollywood is not a simple mouthpiece change. Perhaps you should study what you can find on that mouthpiece so you at least will know the general configuration of it.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Meyers are okay especially the older ones. In smaller tips like 5 or 6 they give me about as close to the Getz vibe as I can get. A Meyer 6 is only around a .080 tip which is pretty closed for tenor. I'd suggest you try something more open like .095 - .105 for what you are looking for. Going .080 to .105 in one jump will be pretty big change so if you do that you'll need to back down to a 2 - 21/2 or MS reed for a while. There are lots of HR pieces out there that are more or less designed in that HR Link style so everyone will have their favorites. Personally, I'd start posting more so you can get past the required 50 posts to use the Marketplace section here at SOTW. Lots of great HR pieces come up for sale all the time at very reasonable prices. I'd go for a Phil-Tone Intrepid or maybe Equinox myself but if you buy them used at good prices you can try a lot of stuff, keep what you like and move along those you don't care for without it costing you very much.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I get a Dexter-ish sound with a Carlsbad-era Brilhart Ebolin. Very nice piece, you can often find them for under $100. Smallish tips, but you get used to them. For tenor I have an unmodified one (.82"), and one that was refaced by Mojo (.085"). Both are killer!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That being said, regardless of your setup, you'll have better luck getting that sound by listening to, and playing along with a lot of Dexter. Try to emulate his sound, his inflections, etc. Unless you're playing on something at the extreme ends of the spectrum (small chamber/high baffle "paint peeler", or large chamber/no baffle "classical" piece) you should be able to get close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts