Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice on mouthpieces. I was recently interested in purchasing a RPC mouthpiece as I have heard very good things about these pieces. The thing is I wasn't too sure if I should really spend over $300 on a mouthpiece. I went to a music store and just for fun tried a Otto Link Tone Edge and was fine with the sound I was getting. Right now I am thinking I should just save money and purchase that Tone Edge and just work on my long tones and continue practicing because i will sound like myself with either piece. However part of me is suggesting I would be missing out on a great playing and great quality piece if I didn't buy that RPC. What would you guys suggest I do? Buy the Tone Edge or the RPC

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,152 Posts
I bought a RPC piece from Ron about 10 years ago. It does everything a mouthpiece is supposed to do. I talked with him for about a half hour and told him about my music background etc. and he made it for me. I have no complaints. I went directly from my beginner's Yamaha 4C to the .105 rollover baffle RPC and found it easy to play. It's much louder and can take a lot more air than the 4C before the reed closes up. I can make it do whatever I want it to do. Being basically what I'd call an advanced beginner I still find it kind of hard to control. But keep in mind I haven't played all 10 years I've had it. I played for a year or two then set the instrument aside until about a year ago when I picked it up again. So basically, I'm starting over again. I like the RPC and have no regrets.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
Get the Tone Edge and practice for 3 years. Then revisit the subject.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,006 Posts
On the current Tone Edge, it would be worth having it checked out by a known mouthpiece man. There could be tremendous potential in it, or you could be immensely lucky and its pretty good out of the box. Stock mouthpieces come with all sorts of facing problems which is why you typically would play a half-dozen of the exact same facing before making a choice. Then send it to your re-facer! :)

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,342 Posts
If you liked the Tone Edge that you tried, then make an effort the identify that actual one you previously tested. Then set it to the side, and try any other Tone Edges that they might have in stock. Then buy the one that played the best for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
If you liked the Tone Edge that you tried, then make an effort the identify that actual one you previously tested. Then set it to the side, and try any other Tone Edges that they might have in stock. Then buy the one that played the best for you.
I did that very thing many years ago (early 1970s) at Ponti's, where they let me go to a practice area and sort through a case of Otto Links. It was a great experience, and I was confident that I had a good mouthpiece.

If you local music store only has a few mouthpieces in the size you want to play, there is a good chance that you are sorting through the ones that everyone has already tried and decided not to buy - the best of the worst.

+1 for buying from Ron Coelho. He does good work, and will make the effort to ensure your satisfaction.

https://saxmpc.com/about.html

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
wrong thread....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I agree with what others have said: if you liked the Link you tried, buy THAT Link and work with that piece for a couple years. The only reason I'm posting is to emphasize that you want to get THAT particular mouthpiece that you tried. Modern Links are well known for having quality control issues: some are quite good right out of the box, many others will need some work before they're worth playing. If you found one that felt and sounded good, go ahead and grab it. Or, even better, if the store has several of them in stock, try them all and grab the best one. Have fun!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,152 Posts
I did that very thing many years ago (early 1970s) at Ponti's, where they let me go to a practice area and sort through a case of Otto Links. It was a great experience, and I was confident that I had a good mouthpiece.

If you local music store only has a few mouthpieces in the size you want to play, there is a good chance that you are sorting through the ones that everyone has already tried and decided not to buy - the best of the worst.

+1 for buying from Ron Coelho. He does good work, and will make the effort to ensure your satisfaction.

https://saxmpc.com/about.html
If you like the Link buy it. But if you feel like a customer handmade piece is what you want Ron Coelho won't sell you a bad mouthpiece. He's a perfectionist who personally plays every piece he sells and if he lets it go out of his shop it is a great mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
If you are talking tenor, the Tone Edge would be a good choice although I find the Meyer to be better. On alto, I would not get the TE however.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello! I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice on mouthpieces. I was recently interested in purchasing a RPC mouthpiece as I have heard very good things about these pieces. The thing is I wasn't too sure if I should really spend over $300 on a mouthpiece. I went to a music store and just for fun tried a Otto Link Tone Edge and was fine with the sound I was getting. Right now I am thinking I should just save money and purchase that Tone Edge and just work on my long tones and continue practicing because i will sound like myself with either piece. However part of me is suggesting I would be missing out on a great playing and great quality piece if I didn't buy that RPC. What would you guys suggest I do? Buy the Tone Edge or the RPC
I'll just throw this into the mix. I was fortunate enough to find an Ottolink Tone Master Metal 5* Tenor on Craigslist that I snapped up for $80(CAD). I'm using this MPC with a Legere Signature 2 1/2. I haven't been playing for much more than a year; although, I find this MPC fairly easy to play and it sounds sweet (at least to me)! I'm using it on a YTS 62III.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts