Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jazz friends have been telling me I need a mouthpiece of a certain style to go with my Buescher Big B Tenor. And that this should go a long way towards improving my intonation on higher notes. I also play a Selmer Mark VII alto, on which my intonation is pretty good, so I know I'm not pitch deaf!

So, any recommendations? At least recommendations less than $400 that is ...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have a 1949 model 156 "Big B"Aristocrat tenor and have found it to be pretty mouthpiece friendly. Specifically, I have had good luck with a Phil-tone Intrepid and Sapphire, a Drake Bergonzi, a stainless Berg 110-2 ramp baffle and a hard rubber Berg 110-3. As you can see from this list, my tastes run to pretty middle of the road mouthpieces. I have not tried it with a Guardala or Berg "0" chamber, for example. I have also used a long shank Soloist on my 1942 "Big B" Aristocrat with good luck.

Hope that list helps.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
You'd do well with the 10M Fan Black Widow (mentioned in the other thread) on that horn. Big, full, bold sound, and it plays/responds beautifully. Also make sure you get the horn checked out regarding key heights or any other issues. These horns have excellent intonation.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Morgan Jazz Model...any chamber depending on how bright or dark you want it. As far as I know, the Morgan mouthpieces are the only pieces still made the same way mouthpieces were made back in the 1950s. When your horn was made, several mouthpiece makers made mouthpieces this way...Meyer Bros, Otto Link, M.C. Gregory. Now, we are the only company still carrying on the tradition. Just like the Meyer Bros in NY, we mold our own formula of rubber, we vulcanize it to a specific hardness, and the hands of skilled craftsmen using hand tools and sandpaper form the chamber, baffle and facing. No machines are used. All models are traditional style mouthpieces and will play very well with your Buescher Aristocrat. They are as close to a vintage mouthpiece as you can get in a modern mouthpiece. Prices are $289 - $309 which is a bargain for the amount of skilled handcrafting that goes into every piece.

http://www.morganmouthpieces.com

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 127 and 156 Big B-engraved tenors are mouthpiece friendly and generally have very good intonation. I use a contemporary Otto Link Super Tone Master New York mouthpiece (about $200) on both the 127 Big B and my MK 6 tenors. All good. Follow JL's advice and make sure your horn has proper key height regulation to ensure good intonation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
There are over a hundred pieces you can chose from

Talk less about the horn and more about your sound concept

Bueschers are about as close to in tune as you will get on many many mouthpieces

take a look at my site and sound clips
check out steve neff mpc reviews and clips

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
If it's anything like my TH&C alto you might try a piece with straight sidewalls on the chamber.
A Buescher Big B tenor is not anything like a TH&C alto. I've owned and played Buescher Big B tenors and TH&C altos.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
A Buescher Big B tenor is not anything like a TH&C alto. I've owned and played Buescher Big B tenors and TH&C altos.
I didn't think you did altos. :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Jazz friends have been telling me I need a mouthpiece of a certain style to go with my Buescher Big B Tenor. And that this should go a long way towards improving my intonation on higher notes. I also play a Selmer Mark VII alto, on which my intonation is pretty good, so I know I'm not pitch deaf!

So, any recommendations? At least recommendations less than $400 that is ...

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure it's your tenor mouthpiece causing the issue. Coming from alto it could be that you play with too much pressure on tenor. Try to relax your embouchure and see if that makes things happening better in the higher register. Buescher tenors should play and tune very well with any mouthpiece, as long as the horn is in good condition and the mouthpiece doesn't have a too small chamber.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 1949 model 156 "Big B"Aristocrat tenor and have found it to be pretty mouthpiece friendly. Specifically, I have had good luck with a Phil-tone Intrepid and Sapphire, a Drake Bergonzi, a stainless Berg 110-2 ramp baffle and a hard rubber Berg 110-3. As you can see from this list, my tastes run to pretty middle of the road mouthpieces. I have not tried it with a Guardala or Berg "0" chamber, for example. I have also used a long shank Soloist on my 1942 "Big B" Aristocrat with good luck.

Hope that list helps.
I've got a model 156 as well. I'll take a look at your suggested mouthpieces.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the exact sound I want in my mind. It's hard to explain though. I know it when I hear it. Problem is that my intonation is just awful above A on the upper register with my JodyJazz HR 6* mouthpiece. Seems like I need to try a larger chamber mouthpiece.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure it's your tenor mouthpiece causing the issue. Coming from alto it could be that you play with too much pressure on tenor. Try to relax your embouchure and see if that makes things happening better in the higher register. Buescher tenors should play and tune very well with any mouthpiece, as long as the horn is in good condition and the mouthpiece doesn't have a too small chamber.
I've purposely put away my alto for the past 6 months to make up for that very issue. Now the tenor feels comfortable and the alto feels strange. I've gotten to a good sound on the Buescher, but I hate my intonation.

·
23,008 Posts
I know the exact sound I want in my mind. It's hard to explain though. I know it when I hear it. Problem is that my intonation is just awful above A on the upper register with my JodyJazz HR 6* mouthpiece. Seems like I need to try a larger chamber mouthpiece.
Have you had that horn checked out by your tech? I highly doubt the intonation issue has anything to do with the mpc. I also have a 156 tenor and have found it to be very mpc friendly (I've used an RPC, Black Widow, PPT, and various Link-style mpcs, all to good effect on that horn). It doesn't need any special mpc and plays very well in tune; easier to play in tune than my MKVI.

I'm not sure about the Jody Jazz, but don't think it has an especially small chamber. You wouldn't want to use a truly small chamber 'pea shooter' on any tenor, but the HR JJ is a fairly middle of the road piece, as far as I know. Something else is going on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you had that horn checked out by your tech? I highly doubt the intonation issue has anything to do with the mpc. I also have a 156 tenor and have found it to be very mpc friendly (I've used an RPC, Black Widow, PPT, and various Link-style mpcs, all to good effect on that horn). It doesn't need any special mpc and plays very well in tune; easier to play in tune than my MKVI.

I'm not sure about the Jody Jazz, but don't think it has an especially small chamber. You wouldn't want to use a truly small chamber 'pea shooter' on any tenor, but the HR JJ is a fairly middle of the road piece, as far as I know. Something else is going on.
Yeah, I had it checked out by my tech. He found some minor leaks, but he thought the intonation was just the horn itself and didn’t recommend any changes to it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Buescher will play well with any mouthpiece really. It's not picky at all. I've played it with Metal Meyers, Metalites, Bergs, but my favorite with it is a Link USA STM. Since the Bueschers will play with almost anything, it's really your sound concept that should guide your selection, not the horn (as others have said).

·
23,008 Posts
My Buescher will play well with any mouthpiece really. It's not picky at all.
+1. I found the same thing. It's just a matter of finding the mpc you prefer. If you already have a favorite mpc, and you pick up one of these horns, that mpc will work fine on it.

Also, Nico, your script engraved 156 tenor is the exact same horn as the Big B 156, aside from the engraving.

Back to the intonation issue, btannenb, if your tech says 'it's the horn' and there's nothing he can do about it, either you need a new tech or he's really saying the horn is fine and it's your playing that is at fault. I don't know which it is, but if that horn is in top playing condition and you can't play it in tune, it's not the horn. You don't say how your intonation is off. If you're sharp in the upper register, that's a sign you are biting. And it still could be you haven't adjusted to the tenor; the tenor requires a more relaxed embouchure than alto.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1. I found the same thing. It's just a matter of finding the mpc you prefer. If you already have a favorite mpc, and you pick up one of these horns, that mpc will work fine on it.

Also, Nico, your script engraved 156 tenor is the exact same horn as the Big B 156, aside from the engraving.

Back to the intonation issue, btannenb, if your tech says 'it's the horn' and there's nothing he can do about it, either you need a new tech or he's really saying the horn is fine and it's your playing that is at fault. I don't know which it is, but if that horn is in top playing condition and you can't play it in tune, it's not the horn. You don't say how your intonation is off. If you're sharp in the upper register, that's a sign you are biting. And it still could be you haven't adjusted to the tenor; the tenor requires a more relaxed embouchure than alto.

I am indeed sharp in the upper register. Just a tad, not anything earsplitting. But enough to notice and to show up on tuner. I can drop my jaw to make it go away with a tuner, but in the middle of an improvisational solo, I don't always remember to do it.

I recently tried out some other horns (P Mauriat, Eastman 52nd St) with the same mouthpiece and reed. Intonation in the upper register was spot on as per my tuner app, no need to drop the jaw or change anything relative to lower notes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts