Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you please say which mouthpiece(s) you prefer to use with the Vintage tenor and describe why you came to this decision. Also can you comment on the ease of sounding the low notes.

Right now I am trying my Vando V16 T75, my STM NY 7 and my Warburton LA 7.
I am surprised at how full the V16 sounds on this horn, it also subtones with ease.
The STM is very warm and the Warburton sounds a little brighter and edgy giving a slightly more contemporary sound. The easiest emission of the low notes comes from the STM

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
I've tried a few different pieces. The L.T. Guardala was the brightest (too shrill in fact) The original HR Barone that came with the sax played just as well as any other piece.
My sound tends toward being 'bright' so although I was considering a Barone Hollywood, I decided to try a Barone Jazz instead. It's marginally darker than the HR Barone, but as they all play so similar, I'll just stick with the Jazz from now on.
cheers, Mark.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
I have tried a bunch of mouthpieces on my Barone Vintage Tenor...All with good results. Since my tech ran through the horn, it plays easily down low at any volume.

Saxscape Xtra Dark: Just a bit too dark for me, but sounded great.
Saxscape SL: Very nice sound, but trends a little bright and edgy for me when pushed.
Saxscape FatCat: Right in the middle of the other two...Edgy when wanted, but also easy to get lush and soft.
Vandoren T77 (red): Super easy to play with a sound that would blend anywhere, or stand out on its own when called upon.
Mouthpiece Cafe Espresso: Similar to the Saxscape Xtra Dark, but not as rich or colorful of a sound.
Barone Vintage HR: Good middle of the road sound, but more resistance than I liked.
Barone Jazz: Added a very focused center, but too much resistance and not enough projection to play in amplified settings.
Barone Hollywood: I thought it would be too bright for me, but I haven't put anything else on the horn since I got it. It is sounding better to me every time I play it. Very versatile and easy to get a good full sound anywhere on the horn at any volume with just enough edge when pushed.

My lesson teacher played a Warburton (not sure which one) on it, and he said he liked it. Of course he sounded great too.

I played a lot of mouthpieces (too many) this summer, but have made my decision to stick with the Hollywood. The FatCat is staying hidden in the dark recesses of my drawer in case of emergency only. If you are interested in some Saxscape Prototypes, send me a PM...They are great, and I have a few that I won't be using. Steve.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
For the small amount of time I played a Vintage I used a Barone Hollywood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAxFXO9VUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gmzwKorx0c It might sound corny but I still find new things with the Hollywood and I have played mine for almost three years. I recently got a new level of understanding with it which made my sound fatter all up and done the horn. It also gave me more core to my sound. I would say my sound is a little fuller now than it is on the clips. This is because of the little break through I had.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
It might sound corny but I still find new things with the Hollywood and I have played mine for almost three years...
That'll happen if you stay with a mouthpiece too long... or is it "long enough"? :twisted:

The people that keep changing mouthpieces to chase their sound will likely never find it.

·
Banned
492 Posts
For the small amount of time I played a Vintage I used a Barone Hollywood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAxFXO9VUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gmzwKorx0c It might sound corny but I still find new things with the Hollywood and I have played mine for almost three years. I recently got a new level of understanding with it which made my sound fatter all up and done the horn. It also gave me more core to my sound. I would say my sound is a little fuller now than it is on the clips. This is because of the little break through I had.
Hey Storm,... are you still using the Hollywood with the Classic? I realize you're saying you are finding new stuff the more time you clock on the Hollywood, but I was just wondering if the horn switch is playing a part in bring more of the Hollywood out. And if so, how much if you can tell.

·
2,640 Posts
Hey Storm,... are you still using the Hollywood with the Classic? I realize you're saying you are finding new stuff the more time you clock on the Hollywood, but I was just wondering if the horn switch is playing a part in bring more of the Hollywood out. And if so, how much if you can tell.
I'm still using the Classic with the Hollywood. I have switched reeds to Vandoran ZZ 2.5 from Vandoran Java Red. The ZZs seem to work better with the Classic than the Reds. I was using Reds on the Vintage. The big difference with the Classic is I get a really powerful, focused sound. I liked the Hollywood on my other horns too. It just feels really comfy.

I agree with Dr. G. It is important to spend some serious time on a mouthpiece. I record myself a lot and I try different things with my embouchure to see what happens.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I've tried a few different pieces. The L.T. Guardala was the brightest (too shrill in fact) The original HR Barone that came with the sax played just as well as any other piece.
My sound tends toward being 'bright' so although I was considering a Barone Hollywood, I decided to try a Barone Jazz instead. It's marginally darker than the HR Barone, but as they all play so similar, I'll just stick with the Jazz from now on.
cheers, Mark.
Yeah your Jazz to me sounds like a MY HOLLYWOOD ! Koumou, I use a Hollywood 7* and i can get around on the horn with absolute ease. I came to this decision because I once owned a LE Silver Plated Hollywood in the late 90's and I wanted that great sound back. Before the hollywoods, i played a series of super expensive guardals including the studio model, traditional model and one other. The Barone was the ansnwer for me because it provided a much richer tone.

·
Registered
313 Posts
On my Vintage Tenor, the Barone Vintage mouthpiece that came with it was a 6. Like a dweeb I listened to the people who said narrower tips need harder reeds. When I finally put on a V16 in 2 strength, it gave me a great Stan Getz sound. Smooth as silk from top to bottom.
In addition I've tried a Wanne Kali 8 with ZZ 2.5's -- bright and buzzy but took too much wind -- and an MC Gregory Model B 4A18, which is warm and mellow. Just in the past week I started trying a Brilhart Personaline HR, which is remarkably easy to blow and has a lot of power and edge.
Overall, I'm probably going to stick with the Gregory. I think the Barone's sound is the best, so that will be my second mouthpiece, but the Gregory feels closer to an alto in my mouth, and this makes it easier to switch between the two. If I were a straight tenor player, I'd probably use the Barone as my "cool" piece and the Brilhart as the "edgy" piece.

·
2,640 Posts
I also would like to add that I have an old Barone Jazz. It is a great sounding piece. The main differences between the Jazz and the Hollywood to me is the Jazz has a smaller profile, it has a cleaner sound, it is darker, it can't take as much air. The Hollywood is a little more focused with a little bit of edge when pushed, not much though.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Hey Stormott, I have a schoolmate who wants to sell me a Jody Jazz HR 5* for 90 bucks. I haven't seen it or anything, just wondering if it's a good mpc for 90 bucks. He takes care of his equipment so I'm assuming it prolly looks like the rest of his stuff. Just not sure if it's basically the same as the Vintage mpc that came with our horns? I'm thinking I'll prolly need something to do for me on my Tenor what my Meyer 5M did for me on my Alto. What exactly the Meyer did I'm not sure, but after a month or so on the Meyer I was able to play the Barone NY6M that came with my Alto with way more ease. I guess what I'm saying is I'm looking for something to take on the 'training wheels' job. And based my 2 weeks or so with the Barone Vintage piece that came with my tenor, I'll prolly need something if I'm gonna play the tenor in wind band. I've heard of Jody Jazz, just not real familiar,... always thought they were bright and edgy no matter what the tip opening. Just wondering what you thought.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,789 Posts
Hey Stormott, I have a schoolmate who wants to sell me a Jody Jazz HR 5* for 90 bucks. I haven't seen it or anything, just wondering if it's a good mpc for 90 bucks. He takes care of his equipment so I'm assuming it prolly looks like the rest of his stuff. Just not sure if it's basically the same as the Vintage mpc that came with our horns? I'm thinking I'll prolly need something to do for me on my Tenor what my Meyer 5M did for me on my Alto. What exactly the Meyer did I'm not sure, but after a month or so on the Meyer I was able to play the Barone NY6M that came with my Alto with way more ease. I guess what I'm saying is I'm looking for something to take on the 'training wheels' job. And based my 2 weeks or so with the Barone Vintage piece that came with my tenor, I'll prolly need something if I'm gonna play the tenor in wind band. I've heard of Jody Jazz, just not real familiar,... always thought they were bright and edgy no matter what the tip opening. Just wondering what you thought.
I haven't liked the JJ HR pieces I have played at all. They have a small chamber and medium to low baffle. Maybe it is just me but the ones I have tried had a small sound to them. Some of them were much brighter than I liked although some of them were really dark also. It's mostly the chamber that I'm not a fan of. I like a bigger chamber like a link has usually. I like to feel like all my air has somewhere to go. With the JJ I felt like it was getting funneled through the small chamber too slowly for me.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Thanks Mr. Nefertiti for the response. I was originally thinking of picking up an Otto Link to play this role, as I've been told the Otto Link is like reference in the Tenor world, like the Meyer is pretty much reference in the Alto world. I also understand that the Tenor Otto Link 5* would be equivalent to the Alto Meyer 5M. But was wondering if a Jody Jazz HR 5* at 90 is a better option than the Link at 149.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a JJHR 7* and the chamber and baffle is very similar to the Barone Vintage. The rails and tip on the Barone are thinner though.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Mine seems to take a Yamaha 5CM, a Vandoren T20 and a T35 equally well. Haven't really tried any others.
Currawong, wow - A Yamaha Custom on tenor. Now the yamaha sop pieces are a piece of work, id love to hear a clip or two of you on theat mouthpeice. Is the 5CM a very focused sound ?

·
12,706 Posts
They are good horns with a modern design. That suggests that most any mouthpiece will work with it. In the end you will get as many answers as there are mouthpieces.

In other words you are going to get mouthpieces answers, not horn solutions.

Edit: I didnt mean to sound rude but it seems like there is a problem hiding in that question. If there is you may have better luck stating the problem more explicitly. Otherwise everyone will just tell you their favorite mouthpiece.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts