Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are very expensive... any idea on how to build our cheap owns?

Stan

F

·
0 Posts
I have tried electrical tape. The adhesive on the tape is bitter. Who knows if that stuff is any good for you? Remember that electrical tape has never been meant to be put in the mouth, so the manufacturers could have put nasty things on it.

On the other hand, the rubber patch that I use does not have any taste. That's probably good.

I also think the patch is reasonably priced as it seems to last a long time. I practice about half an hour everyday, and the patch that I applied two months ago still looks in the same condition as the day I put it on. Just make sure that your mouthpiece is completely clean and dry before you apply the patch. Any bit of finger wax or dirt, and the adhesive on the patch won't hold as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
FujairahMan said:
I have tried electrical tape. The adhesive on the tape is bitter. Who knows if that stuff is any good for you? Remember that electrical tape has never been meant to be put in the mouth, so the manufacturers could have put nasty things on it.

On the other hand, the rubber patch that I use does not have any taste. That's probably good.

I also think the patch is reasonably priced as it seems to last a long time. I practice about half an hour everyday, and the patch that I applied two months ago still looks in the same condition as the day I put it on. Just make sure that your mouthpiece is completely clean and dry before you apply the patch. Any bit of finger wax or dirt, and the adhesive on the patch won't hold as well.

I have used electrical tape before and have not had any problems or taste issues. Remember, peas smell bad and carbon monoxide is scentless.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stan said:
are very expensive... any idea on how to build our cheap owns?

Stan
They are? :? I haven't bought any in a long time, but when I was section leader in the marching band I'd keep a bunch in my case for anyone in my section who suddenly needed one. A couple of bucks, I think.

Are you talking about replacing the... err... "tooth guard" on a metal mouthpiece perhaps?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
I use 5 pieces of electrical tape trimmed into an oval shape.
They have no taste.
They last 4 to 5 months after every day, daily playing, longer if you play less.
electrical tape is cheap, effective, and practical.
Plus you can get other colors if you want...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Compared to the price of mouthpieces, the patches are really cheap. I use the "thin" Vandoren on all my mouthpieces and I wouldn't have it any other way.

F

·
0 Posts
When I posted earlier that electrical tape adhesive had a bitter taste, I had then used a no-name brand of electrical tape. Also, the bitter taste did go away after washing tape on the mouthpiece with soap and water. Still, you never know... :dontknow:

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I paid 2 euro (about 2.60 $) one 1x2cm piece of plastic known as mouthpiece patch... if we speak in absolute terms it is cheap, I agree but if we think it is only a 1 mm thick transparent plastic film it can not considered so cheap IMHO.

Stan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stan said:
I paid 2 euro (about 2.60 $) one 1x2cm piece of plastic known as mouthpiece patch... if we speak in absolute terms it is cheap, I agree but if think it is only a 1 mm thick transparent plastic film it can not considered so cheap IMHO.

Stan
It does seem a little high, but I wouldn't call it really expensive. I suppose you could use the electrical tape suggestion, but I personally wouldn't want to. But I'm also the weirdo who washes his mouthpiece after every time I play... The patches I've used have been rubber, however, and certain types of plastic "leech" so I'm fine to pay an extra buck or 2. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
mouthpiece patches

Stan

I use the BG rubber one's. They are quite thick, at 0.8mm, but great when you get used to them. I play about 1 1/2hours a day and one patch has been on there for two years. I tried electrical tape but i have a wonky front tooth that results in only two points touching the mouthpiece. I wore through the tape in about two weeks. I also found that as the tape got warm and moist it moved as left sticky residue on the MP. They cost me £5 for a pack of six and i have used two in 2 years (one on alto, one on tenor)

BTW i love your wooden mouthpieces.

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aikisax said:
Stan

I use the BG rubber one's. They are quite thick, at 0.8mm, but great when you get used to them. I play about 1 1/2hours a day and one patch has been on there for two years. I tried electrical tape but i have a wonky front tooth that results in only two points touching the mouthpiece. I wore through the tape in about two weeks. I also found that as the tape got warm and moist it moved as left sticky residue on the MP. They cost me £5 for a pack of six and i have used two in 2 years (one on alto, one on tenor)

BTW i love your wooden mouthpieces.
Ok! I will buy BG patches,
thanks again :)

Stan

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MojoBari said:
These patches are probably the least expensive item we can use in playing. They come in a variety of sizes, thicknesses and clear/black. They last a long time. Just buy some.
I already have patches of any size and color on my preferred mouthpieces. The problem is that they are not so easy to find where I live and the number of mouthpieces is also constantly increasing with time... ;)

Stan

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi fellows,
I've already tried several material (electrical tape, layers of Contact adhesive, other plastic adhesives) until I tried Vandoren's patches... And, from that time until now I stick to them. They are a bit expensive but they last longer and deserve the price... IMHO.
Cheers,
Claudio

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Double-lip embouchure....no need for mouthpiece patches.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,211 Posts
Expensive?! You gotta be kidding. It will cost more to drive one way to almost any gig than you'll pay for a couple of these patches. That beer you have during a break will cost more. And the patches will last several months at least. How much do you spend on reeds?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
I like the Runyon patches best too!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts