Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to play with mouthpiece patch to protect the mouthpiece.

Today, I took it out and found that the sound and articulation is so much better.

Do you play with or without mouthpiece patch?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
tried that once on my legit piece and also preferred the feel without. For me easier to change the amount of mouthpiece etc without it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The problem for me without the patch is the piece is just too slippery without it and tends to shift unless I really bite down hard on it. I guess I don't understand how having or not having one could affect the tone, but everybody should do what works for them. I've played without but also tend to wear a groove in the piece pretty quickly (which is probably more limiting in terms of flexibility than keeping a patch on) and eventually can compromise the usefulness of the piece.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
The thick (rubbery) ones give me a similar problem so I just use a thin one. A piece of electrical tape is fine but Face Ache Mike, a member here, sells some nice ones.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've played the thick ones for years but now I've started to use the thin version and I have noticed the same thing.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I have somewhat uneven top two front teeth so the thicker patch works well for me. It also has the effect of opening the mouth a bit more which helps me to achieve the concept of sound that I go for. I am a strong advocate of the patch for beginning players because:

- It makes it more comfortable from the beginning to put their top teeth on the mouthpiece.
- It helps them to put the top teeth in the same spot every time they play. (I make a groove with my thumbnail.)
- It helps them to open the teeth more so there is less tendency to bite down

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
The thick, black ones........well......they suck. Definitely go with the thin, clear ones. Much "harder" and feel like you're not playing with a patch at all. Offer great protection for the bite plate while retaining the true vibe/vibrations of the 'piece.
Of course, your mileage may vary!

Edit:
Here are the patches that I use. For the record, I'm not afflilated, related or have dirty pictures of this seller. :mrgreen:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Woodwind-mouthp...757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b06c1fe5

John

·
Forum Contributor 2017
1,217 Posts
The thick, black ones........well......they suck. Definitely go with the thin, clear ones. Much "harder" and feel like you're not playing with a patch at all. Offer great protection for the bite plate while retaining the true vibe/vibrations of the 'piece.
Of course, your mileage may vary!

Edit:
Here are the patches that I use. For the record, I'm not afflilated, related or have dirty pictures of this seller. :mrgreen:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Woodwind-mouthp...757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b06c1fe5

John
Thanks John. I was looking for these, and the the price is right!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
The thick (rubbery) ones give me a similar problem so I just use a thin one. A piece of electrical tape is fine but Face Ache Mike, a member here, sells some nice ones.
Ooo, ooo, is he still selling those? I had a couple as a trial and they really did last for ages. Must get in touch.

Someone will probably slap me round the head for this but at present I'm using bits of Gorilla tape..

I think maybe my teeth are a bit sharp so they tend to feel like they're going to skate around if i don't use a patch. I agree the sound seems different without a patch but i'm pretty sure that's perception rather than reality. I suppose articulation could be affected if the patch is rather thick (??)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I always use the thick black rubber ones. I don't like those intense vibrations, especially while playing metal mouthpieces.

Markus

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
I never used them when I was younger but do now because I don't like the vibration on my teeth anymore and it saves the mouthpiece from getting a tooth mark. For me it doesn't change the sound or the way I perceive the sound, maybe some people are more sensitive to that. I like the thin clear ones. One of my teeth seems to cut through the thick black ones pretty fast, they seem to be softer. I would start with the clear ones and see how it goes.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts

John
I have these as well and they are great. One thing to be careful of is if you have an old brilhart with the bite plate insert, be careful when removing these as they tend to pull the insert out. They have a very sticky adhesive. On the upside they are as close to no patch in feel and are very durable.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I've thick patches before, then went to thin ones, and just bought a batch of BG thick patches again. I did not realise that the thick ones affect articulation?! I think I'll still stick with my thick patches or thin ones, depending on which mpc I am playing. I think it will be a while before my articulation gets that articulate that the thick patch won't do anymore. My embrochure is much less bitey these days, but my teeth prefer the comfort of a patch, and I also like the idea of not scratching the mouthpiece with my incisors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts