Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of paying £1+ per mouthpiece patch so I got some made with the idea of selling them later.

I have some samples to give away to the first 20 name and adresses in my PM box. All I ask in return is an initial assessment and maybe another assessment after some time in use.

A patch isnt the most technical piece of equipment but I`ve researched and come up with what I think is a better product than what is already available.

These are made from a tough, clear, self adhesive material known for its hard wearing properties. Thickness is 200 microns, slightly thinner than the usual Selmer/Yamaha etc patches. Unlike rubber, they don`t "grab" at your teeth nor do they slide like a mouthpiece without a patch.

In my own tests, they are much more comfortable, much more discrete and a little less expensive than the usual type. Shaped like any other patch, they fit just as easily, simply peel away the backing and stick. They do not leave a gummy residue on removal.

Anticipated price will be around £7 per 10. Only alto size available for now.

Sound good? PM me with your name and address and I will send the first 20 a free sample. Your private info will not be used other than to send your sample.

I am also happy to answer your questions.

Thank you,
Mike.

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To answer some of your questions:

Shipping overseas not a problem.

The same material is used in the food packaging industry so is safe to put in your mouth. Each patch has a hygiene covering that you remove after application.

No rubbery taste, no taste at all.

They will last much longer than rubber patches. I have yet to make a mark on my test patch after 6 weeks. Previously, I was wearing out a rubber patch every 3-4 weeks (playing for 2-3 hours a day).

Thickness is 0.35mm not 200 microns as stated.

Alto size available now but sop, tenor and bari to follow.

Alto size is suitable for clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,257 Posts
I got two paches from Face Ache Mike, and I like them a lot. They are the thinnest paches I ever have seen. The one I used lately are from BC and they are 0,4 mm. These feels thinner. It suits me well, because I don´t want the mouthpiece to get thicker.

I put one on my Beechler Diamond Yesterday, and played 1,5 houres. Today I used it on a rehearsel for about 2 houres. It still looks new and fine.

£7 for 10 are about the same price I pay for 2 paches here in Norway. I´ll indeed like to buy these patches.

EgilF.
Norway

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mike was good enough to send me a couple of patches so now I have played with them on I will give my intial thoughts and then follow this up with a full reiew once I have played a bit more on it.

The good points:

These patches are really thin, so the mouthpiece feels almost like it patchless but without the slip and buzz you would get without a patch on.

Really hard wearing by the looks of things

Nice tear off top covering to keep these in pristine condition untill you put them on the mouthpiece.

And I kid you not this patch improved my intonation on high b, I was well chuffed.

The Bad Points:

Not much spring in the patch so if your used to a more spongy feel in the mouth this may not be for you.

I only got sent two :(

I shall be purchasing these patches from Mike and recommending these to a few friends of mine, well done Mike :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
I offered to review these, and recieved the patches recently. I'll post what I sent Mike in a PM.

Hi Mike,

The patches arrived at some point in the last day or two, and I've put them on my two main mouthpieces.

My first impression of the patch was that it was nice and thin, yet still seemed tough enough to handle just about any player's bite.

At first it was a little confusing figuring out how to put the patch on, but as soon as I figured out the directions (basically peel and stick) it went on just fine.

I think the only patch that I've played on that is thinner than this, yet still as strong, is a patch that SOTW member milandro and I have been searching for for almost a year now.

That patch was made of two thin layers, a thin carbon fiber-esque bottom layer and a thin clear top layer, and I was hoping that this patch would be a good alternative to that one, as I have been unable to find out any information about it.

I've played about four hours on it, and it's extremely comfortable and still looks exactly the same as when I put it on.

So far, it has exceeded my expectations, and looks to be a well made and designed product.

I'll give you another update in a few days to a week's time.
-Ian Hart

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys :)

At this price, if you feel the need to go thicker, you could always double up on patches.

I`m taking orders now. Price for a pack of ten is £7.50 plus 50p shipping to anywhere (within reason) in the world.
Paypal address is [email protected] and there is a new instruction leaflet for download here.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I got mine today! I have to say, these are amazing little patches. I found them to be a perfect fit for my JodyJazz bari mouthpiece (I think one size comfortably fits all).

The first thing I noticed was the hygiene layer that protected the patch. I really liked that; the patch is clean until you get it. I really liked the thinness and material feel. It had grip without feeling too rubbery, and it didn't impede the natural flow of the mouthpiece.

I've yet to try it out, but I will tomorrow.

I'll need to get more. For my other two bari mouthpieces, my bass clarinet and clarinet mouthpieces.

·
2,831 Posts
tried out the patches last night. at a rock gig!..... the patches feel easy on the piece and after about 2 hours overallwith a firmer embouchure of hard playing and in the upper alt! here and there .no signs of where and tear,[chaffing and teeth marks developing as in rubber patches],just a slight movement of the patch where the teeth would rest,but nothing bad, they stay in place easily and the adhesive is very good.
initially a good patch which over time will prove an improvement over the usual stock patch..
bryan

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
721 Posts
Got mine from Mike a few days ago, and have been trying them out ever since. I had to get used to the thinner "feel" on them, my regular patches are BG 0.8 blacks that're decidedly thicker. They work well and will fit all mpc sizes, even metal mpcs when you don't want to spoil the bite plate -- I find that the Vandoren patches, for example, are generally too big for most soprano mpcs. The hygiene layer is a plus. Bargain at the price!

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. The patches are being received very well. You might have noticed I`ve put an ad on Ebay at the full price for a pack of ten of £9.95 inc postage. I will still honour the discounted rate of £7.50 plus 50p postage to SOTW members. Just refer to this thread and quote your username when ordering.

Mike.

·
2,831 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. The patches are being received very well. You might have noticed I`ve put an ad on Ebay at the full price for a pack of ten of £9.95 inc postage. I will still honour the discounted rate of £7.50 plus 50p postage to SOTW members. Just refer to this thread and quote your username when ordering.

Mike.
thanks mike, thats a nice gesture!!...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Mike,

Couldn't figure how to get the discounted price on Ebay. Would that be £15.50 for two packs of ten? Should I simply paypal that amount to you with my address? (UK)

Sounds like a terrific product. One query - I had a different patch on my Morgan and it left a very stubborn residue. What do you recommend to clean this if it hapens with your patches?

Thanks!

David

·
1,599 Posts
Here is my review:

I tried my samples on extremes, soprano and bari. The supplied sample was almost too large for soprano, but does work fine, and covers plenty of a Link Tone Edge bari mouthpiece as well. I would say one size fits all :)

Both patches are holding up very well and I will be purchasing a pack of them in the near future.

Thanks for putting a great product on the market!

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi Mike,

Couldn't figure how to get the discounted price on Ebay. Would that be £15.50 for two packs of ten? Should I simply paypal that amount to you with my address? (UK)

Sounds like a terrific product. One query - I had a different patch on my Morgan and it left a very stubborn residue. What do you recommend to clean this if it hapens with your patches?

Thanks!

David
Hi SaxybertDavid,

Thanks for asking. Yes, please use [email protected] for Paypal. Also, postage is 50p no matter how many packs you order. So the total price for two packs is only £15.50

These patches should not leave any residue when removed. In the past, when I used "ordinary" rubber patches, I used warm soapy water and my thumbnail to clean off any remaining glue.

Thank you everyone for your reviews. I`m keen to hear from you other guys that have had them 2-3 weeks to see how they`re holding up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mike sent me a pair of patches and I am currently using them on a Bb and a Bass Clarinet mouthpiece. Both are holding up very nicely. A very good product and very similar to the size and thickness of the Yamaha patches. Will continue to use these to see how they hold up.

Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Received my 2 patches, recently from FAM. I put one on my new RPC 90N, but then just had some neck surgery, so won't be able to try out for a few weeks. I can tell you that the thickness is ideal (I've been using BG thin clear, which I think are .3mm), and they have just the right amount of 'grippiness' on the teeth. Price is certainly right. More later.

JR

1 - 20 of 152 Posts