• Yes

Votes: 424 84.3%
  • Not

Votes: 79 15.7%
161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I bite right through them- but I guess that says it all!

·
Registered
171 Posts
After having to frequently replace the black rubber ones, I somehow discovered that if you put one of the clear plastic ones on top of it, it lasts practically forever . . .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mouthpiece patch for sure! They make playing a little more comfortable and they also protect the mouthpiece from tooth gouges.
The clear ones tend to last longer but I find that the blacks ones have a more cushion type feel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes to patches!
It's easier for me to play with it, more cushion for my teeth.
Plus, I want to keep my Meyer piece in good shape...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also love them. In the double patch camp. Thick black one covered by thin clear one. My backup mouthpiece lineup is always changing and this also preserves them nicely for when they move on... :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
You know, I didn't use one for 35 years on my alto. As I practiced my tenor more this past year, I added a patch to the mouthpiece. Can't believe I went without for so long! Now it's on all my horns.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes to the patches !
It's more comfortable, and prevents scratches on the beak (mostly useful if you want to sell the mouthpiece)

Special note with the soprano as it also helps with the dimensions : in order to feel closer to a bigger piece (but that's my personal preference).

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Yes, I use all the various combo's of patches on all my sax mpcs. The 3M white extra thins seem to fall off easier. My Soprano mpc metal lost one in the heat today. It quit sticking, fell off mid tune. I got home and first installed a VanDoren clear, then a 3m thick style black patch, the black patch will stick better. All my mpcs have patches of some sort..

I also completely understand that some cats cannot comfortably play a patch'd mpc.

My good pal in Vegas (top pro with a tone to die for) loves my mpcs, but can't stand the patches when he tries them. He plays an old Berg metal. The bite plate is completely chewed through to the metal and has been that way since I first met him almost 15 yrs ago.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
No here. I play with a double embouchure, so the only thing that could benefit from some protection would be my top lip, after 4-5 hours of plaing.
I did this myself for a long time, I love the airy ala Getz type tone produced with the double embouchure, but 15 yrs ago I copped my first Guardala tenor mpc, and while striving for altissimo strength I found I needed my teeth for support on the mpc..

I will still revert to double E at times for certain tunes or passages, but in general I'm used to the patches by now, and I know I'd chew the hell out of my mpcs if I didn't use them..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't knwo if I am weird or what but I can't play (metal) mouthpiece only with those thin clear patches. It just resonates in my brain and I have to stop immediately. I am using those thick black vandoren patches.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Not only do I use them, but I make all my begininning students use them to. I think it really helps with emborchure
If they have uneven teeth, it can help them to anchor better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
Don't knwo if I am weird or what but I can't play (metal) mouthpiece only with those thin clear patches. It just resonates in my brain and I have to stop immediately. I am using those thick black vandoren patches.
Try using two. The thick ones are super squishy. I can't stand them. I'll bite through them instantly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes. My front teeth aren’t perfectly even, so it gives me a more positive grip on the mouthpiece, dampens vibration, and protects my mouthpieces from getting scratched or worn down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, for comfort and for protecting the mouthpiece. I use the fat black ones on top and a thin clear one underneath it as a final "line of defence". I usually only have to replace the top patch.

/Saxray

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,594 Posts
After playing sax without one professionally without one since 1964, I finally tried one. I had two mouthpieces repaired as I bit though the bite plate right into the brass. It feels different to me, but not a big difference. I notice it at first, and then once I've played for a while I just play and get into that 'right brain' world.

It mutes the bone conduction of the sound a bit so I hear how I'm blending with the rest of the band through the monitors better. That's a positive thing. I'll probably get used to them soon.

Insights and incites by Notes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,283 Posts
Yes. It's amazing how much your teeth can cut into Dukoff mpc. And, it keeps scratches down to a minimum(more valuable for maybe trading?)

161 - 180 of 216 Posts