• Yes

Votes: 424 84.3%
  • Not

Votes: 79 15.7%
201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I need to feel the vibrations to play my best. No patches for me unless I intend to resell, and the thinnest ones possible in that case.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I only play with patches now, because the mouthpiece vibration causes discomfort in my teeths sometimes. I use the Vandoren because it's thin, for me is more comfortable and more firm to maintain the mouthpiece in
contact with teeths during play too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also using patches most of the time, on all saxes. My front teeth are a little sharp and not completely even, which quickly leaves marks or pits in bite plates and HR pieces. Maybe I bite more or put more downforce on the mouthpieces than I’m aware of, too.

In terms of comfort, the texture of a patch tends to feel a bit more secure than the bare piece, especially on some steeper beak shapes.

A definite downside is the debris that inevitably will start to fall off into my mouth while playing, especially from the thick black rubbery patches, once I have managed to gnaw through. For this reason I prefer the medium thin clear vinyl ones.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never bothered with them until I got my Gaia 3. after a month or so I ordered some spares for my other mouthpieces. when I first tried a patch in the 90s it was super duper thick... now they’re barely noticeable, protect the piece, and dampen the vibration just enough to prevent my teeth from ringoing. I do also like that its countersunk on the TW mouthpieces.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting. Do you find that the vibration transfers through your upper teeth, or more though your entire embouchure?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting. Do you find that the vibration transfers through your upper teeth, or more though your entire embouchure?
I definitely notice the vibration on my two upper front teeth. One reason for this is that I have had dental work on those two teeth and they must be "weaker" then my other teeth. I play in a combo tomorrow and will see if I notice the vibration on additional teeth or on more of my embouchure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I definitely notice the vibration on my two upper front teeth. One reason for this is that I have had dental work on those two teeth and they must be "weaker" then my other teeth. I play in a combo tomorrow and will see if I notice the vibration on additional teeth or on more of my embouchure.
Sometimes, at certain frequencies (generally lower), I feel the vibration more around my temples? it’s a but hard to explain but it’s more like vibration in my whole jigging than just the teeth. It’s not terribly unpleasant per se, more just an unusual sensation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cant play without those pads, otherwise I feel like my brain is vibrating out of my skull through those two front teeth. Don't have dental work done there and they are not particular weak, maybe a little bit larger dan average.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use them and appreciate them as I have one front tooth that was chipped when young. They really help even pressure for me and my embouchure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
I always use one. I like the thin, clear ones. It protects the mouthpiece, feels more comfortable and helps me to "grip" the mouthpiece more effectively without biting.
Yep, me too. Since I learned to reduce my biting power, my small metal mouthpiece with very hard 'dental material' bite plate tends to slide around. I don't know if I could even play without them now so I usually buy several packages of them at a time. I use the 'Bay' Vibra-Ease Thin-Clear type, 0.33mm. I have them on four mouthpieces for all my horns which is why I buy them in bulk.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes. I mostly play on Saxscape mouthpieces. They’re made of Delrin, which is slipperier than hard rubber. Patches keep my teeth from slipping. They also reduce the buzzing vibrations from sound waves to teeth.

201 - 216 of 216 Posts