• Yes

Votes: 424 84.3%
  • Not

Votes: 79 15.7%
181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Yes. I don't bite hard, but have sharp front teeth that wear down a mouthpiece over time. I'd rather just use a patch. And I find them just slightly more comfortable, though not much.
Ditto this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, patches for me. After trying quite a few, I seemed to have settled on the Vibra-Ease Black medium (.44mm). Also like the Vandoren clear patches which I think are about the same thickness.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,594 Posts
I've just started using them and I think they are OK and will probably make my mouthpiece last longer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes... I like the thick ones. I have some by Vandoren (.80mm?) that I really like, but they're kind of expensive compared to other choices.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would not enjoy playing without one. My front teeth are just too sensitive. I had been looking for ones that were 1.00 mm thick to no avail but the suggestion I see in this thread about layering them over the thin clear ones sounds like a winner!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use patches now but when I first started I did not and that poor Yamaha C alto mouthpiece still has the imprint from my teeth lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to play without a patch. Since my front teeth are rather sharp, my mouthpiece shows very clearly where my teeth were.
About a year ago I bought a new Otto Link, and got some patches as well. Since then I always use a patch to protect the mouthpiece from my teeth.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I never was big on using patches. They always make me bite down a little for some reason. However, I started using them on my Brilhart Tonalin. For no other reason than to preserve the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes. I like medium thick patches. I guess I have sharp front teeth, cause I leave marks in the mouthpiece without a patch.

·
7,594 Posts
I was a holdout for a long time. I wore through the plastic on two brass Link mouthpieces, had them repaired, and decided to patch.

I actually like them now, but still wonder what chemicals I am now absorbing into my system. ;)

Insights and incites by Notes

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm in the double lip embouchure group. When I first started, I tried single lip and the feeling of vibration was very uncomfortable to me. I don't use a pad because my lip is there.

I wonder if this also explains my tendency towards softer reeds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have sharp teeth so I use two patches, otherwise it hurts my teeth and could damage the mouthpiece. I prefer the clear patches because they seem harder than the black ones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, for comfort and stability... I've used them since I was in 6th grade on clarinet. Plus I prefer not to scratch the crap out of the beak. I use the thin clear Bay patches because I bite through the black ticker patches from any other brands. If I need the thickness of a black patch, I'll stack a clear one on top of a black... same firmness but no biting through. I did that more on clarinet because of the angle of the mouthpiece and my overbite, but on saxes, just the clear patch alone is plenty for me.
Wow--Had to read to page six before someone mentioned what I do: Thin clear over thick black. An overbite keeps teeth sharp, (especially bottom), I like the freedom from vibration, and the protecti0n for my pieces. I play fairly open bari pieces, and cut trough the thick black ones regardless of brand pretty quickly. I found when I overlay them with the clear they suddenly last FOREVER. And I see why some teachers want to get your mouth open further for tone production, even though I use a lot of mouthpiece, with large diameter pieces, I still like the raise of height. With SAT, probably one of whichever I have handy or the most of. Not really part of this discussion, I tried the Forestone patches, loved the feel, and the toughness, and the moveability (somehow no real adhesive), but like some, just could not get them to stay where I put them, no matter what I tried. If you sound a secret, please PM me.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I am not going to read through 10 pages to see if this has already been mentioned. When teaching beginning saxophone and clarinet players thick patches are indespensible. They not only make the student's first experience putting the top teeth on the mouthpiece more comfortable they also provide more consistency with how much mouthpiece the student takes in the mouth. I always applied the patch and then made a deep groove with my thumbnail and instructed the student to find that spot with their top teeth. As tone production fundamentals were developed, students later could make small adjustments that worked better for them as needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having never been told to use on when i started learning, it feels weird to use one. I much prefer not having one as my embouchure is better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes ... but for me it has nothing to do with comfort. I think I prefer the feel without the patch but I wear thru the mouthpiece unless I use a patch. And i wear thru the patches too. Once I've worn a hole thru, I peel the patch off and turn it around. Or sometimes I cut them in half before I install and only install one half at a time.

·
7,594 Posts
I never used one until I bit through the plastic and into the brass on two Link Tone Master mouthpieces. Fixing was more expensive than using patches, so now I'm a patch person player.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I voted yes, at least when it comes to metal mouthpieces. Hard rubber I can take or leave depending on the piece, but metal pieces are too uncomfortable without one.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts