• Yes

Votes: 424 84.3%
  • Not

Votes: 79 15.7%
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes. For basic comfort, to isolate the teeth a bit from vibration and my front teeth are not perfectly even.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
For both comfort and stability, a patch gives me a nice foundation for my teeth so I'm not slipping around. And I normally go for the thicker black patches as opposed to the thinner clear patches.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Yes. I don't bite hard, but have sharp front teeth that wear down a mouthpiece over time. I'd rather just use a patch. And I find them just slightly more comfortable, though not much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
There was no "Whatever" option on the poll....I used tham when I started playing again after many years but I think I was biting way too hard. After a few rounds of patches I just kind of gave up on them. I guess I could take them or leave them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
It not only provides more comfort but protects the mouthpiece. It's win win in my case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Usually no. I don't really rest my upper teeth on the mouthpiece that much. The only exception is my metal Goldbeck for alto. It has no tooth plate. It's just solid metal so I use a patch to avoid the vibration on my upper teeth.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
No for hard rubber pieces.
Yes on my crystal clarinet mouthpieces. And then only the very thin clear ones.
I don't like the way they feel on my upper lip.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Yes, as said above, it's a win-win. I don't bite hard, but one of my teeth has a rough surface, apparently, causing scratches even with light pressure.

I actually find that the thinner clear patches (3Ms) last longer than the thick black ones. In my experience, the thicker patches just give your teeth more to dig into and you wind up with divots potentially exposing the mouthpiece that much sooner. The transparent 3Ms are great and last a long time.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Not for me. I like to have the most of the feeling of the mouthpiece. At top altissimo, any minimal change matters for me, so I stopped using them long ago.

Unfortunately, my old Jumbo Java has marks... but I don't think nobody cares... not me...:)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I always use one. I like the thin, clear ones. It protects the mouthpiece, feels more comfortable and helps me to "grip" the mouthpiece more effectively without biting.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes for most of the already-stated reasons. I like the hard, thin plastic ones (Vandoren) best, as long as they have a slightly tacky feel or grip. Feels secure and protects the mouthpiece.

Used to use rubber ones (BG, Runyon), but ground through those in a few weeks. Sometimes I combine a thin rubber one with a thin plastic one on top of that. Depends on the piece what I use to get the right feel (general size, then also the size and shape of the particular design). I have a Ponzol Classic (HR) that just feels better with a this combination (a thicker patch combination instead of just the thin plastic one alone). I have not tried any thicker hard plastic patches, but if they're slippery I won't like them.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I used them for about six months, back before you could buy them. I cut up rubber tire patches, and glued them on. I thought they opened my throat by opening my mouth more.

My S80 C* finally has a slight dent, after 30 years. All of my pieces eventually get 'skate' marks from my teeth.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I use the thin clear patches on all mouthpieces. Just feels more comfortable, and protects the mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Yes - thick rubber. Originally I did this to protect the mouthpiece and keep my teeth from vibrating. Then I started notching a little indent near the "bore end" of the patch where I normally want my teeth to be. At one point, this was very helpful in assuring that I took in enough mouthpiece. Now it's a habit.

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
When I started lessons, it was pointed out that I was doing the double-embouchure thing. My teacher told me to lose the top lip, get a pad, and set those teeth right on the mouthpiece.

So I did, and I do, and it helped me develop a much stronger tone. Now, when I test a mouthpieces with no patch, my front teeth vibrate slightly and I find it quite uncomfortable.

I like the fat black ones.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts