Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm using a metal mouthpiece on my tenor (10MFAN, Robusto), and a BG mouthpiece patch. The patches keep sliding off, after a few days / weeks of playing; they won't hold in place. I've restuck the same patch on again, then replaced with a new one. Same thing keeps happening. Never had this problem before.

Probably something really obvious. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Alistair

·
Registered
627 Posts
Alistair,

Sacks Of Phones is asking the right question--make sure that the beak of the mouthpiece is clean and dry before applying the bitepad. You can use plain rubbing alcohol to clean the surface.

Some bitepads also adhere better if you burnish the pad down onto the beak after application (with your thumb or some other kind of object that you can rub the bitepad down onto the beak with). Give the bitepad a few hours to bond if you can before using.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
Something very strange is going on. Even the forestone patches, which are designed to be easily removed, stick well on my metal Robusto. But if you want one that will really stick and stay on, get the 3M clear patch.

First thing to do though, as Sacks of Phones says, is to clean & dry the beak of the mpc well before applying any patch.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I'm thinking errant cork grease or Chapstick could be the issue. There's always pizza grease on the lips, salad dressing oil.............etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts