Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've probably tried 50-60 different alto mpc's since I started playing 20 years ago. Lakey, Beechler, Bari, Link, Ponzol, Selmer, RIA, Brillhart, Rosseau, SR Tech, VanDoren, Dukoff, etc. - you name it, I probably tried it. I ended up sticking with the rubber Meyer 7M, and that has been my mpc. for the last 12 years.

Try as I might to find something better, I never could, and always went back to the Meyer. My most recent attempts to replace the Meyer included the Jody Jazz ESP, Runyon Jaguar, Runyon Custom Jazz, Jody Jazz Classic. I've always been looking for something that is Sanborn-like, without sounding shrill, but yet having a bit more bite and edge than a standard rubber piece. I like the idea of playing a metal mpc, but have never found one that works as well for playing various styles as the Meyer, or was as comfortble to play or practice with as the Meyer. In addition, I always felt the Meyer allowed me to produce a sound that was pure - by that I mean a sound that was a result of the combination of my horn, and me - the true sound of the saxophone plus my playing techinque - rather than a sound derived from the mouthpiece itself.

If you've tried a lot of mouthpieces, you know the drill. The descriptive terms promise "free blowing, responsive, lush lows , brilliant but deep highs, easy altissimo, powerful, excellent intonation thru the register" etc. etc. You buy it thinking these are exactly the things your looking for, only to be dissapointed when the mpc. maybe has a few of these attributes, but not all of them - sometimes none of them. Most of the time, I can tell within 5 minutes of playing whether or not I'd like it, and I usually don't due to some fatal flaw. If I do like it for it's playability, then it's usually "hmmm...interesting sound, but it's not me". For example, the Runyon Jaguar has a lot of what I'm looking for - very responsive, easy to play, good projection, but the sound is something other than me - it's not bad, just different and not "pure". I realized after a while that nothing ultimately seemed to measure up to the flexibility, tone, responsiveness and comfort that I already had with the Meyer.

I have got to tell you something. I believe my new Morgan Excalibur 7E alto mouthpiece has finally achieved something no other mpc. has been able to do - it has replaced my Meyer. I find this mpc. simply astonishing, magical, a joy and pleasure to play. It has everything I'm looking for - for once the description fits this mpc. quite accurately

"The Excalibur plays with unlimited power and unbelievable flexibility! Ultra-thin shell--chamber, baffle, the throat, rails, tip--all handworked!! Experience the fine sound and response of the great European ebonite rubber. No harshness." - Morgan
This is an accurate description of this piece. It has tons of power, but can easily be played soft and lush - it is not harsh, but powerful with just the right amount of edge. The craftsmanship is beautiful - I guess handworking really does make a difference!!! The sound is pure - it's me and the saxophone, not the mpc. making the sound. Unlike many others that claim the same thing, the Morgan truly is free-blowing and easy to play, excellent response - by that I mean it "connects" the notes very well. The only thing I can pick on is truly personal - the width of the mpc. beak is not what I'm accustomed to, it's a bit narrower so my embouchere feels slightly different, but I can easily adapt to this over time. Other than that, it's very comfortable to play and easy to practice with for extended periods of time.

I think this mpc. truly is my holy grail - finally, it only took 20 years to find it. If you're looking for a Sanborn-like sound, but one that comes from you and the horn rather than the mpc, projects very well and can also play soft, spot-on intonation, great craftsmanship and is a pleasure to play in a variety of styles and situations, look no further.

Cost was $129 from WWBW so it's also a very good value for a handworked piece, and blew away the much more expensive competition. I guess Morgan is backed up producing these - it took nearly 3 months to get it. Beleive me, it'w worth the wait. For once, a product that delivers as advertised. I am truly blown away. Thank you Ralph Morgan!!

BTW - if anyone can recommend a good (great) ligature for this piece please let me know. It does not take a standard lig - the suggestion included with the box included a Rovner 1R clarinet, or a standard metal clarinet lig. I'm thinking of a BG Tradition maybe?? I don't like fabric type ligs. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sjabariiii said:
yes, the 7E is a great piece. Try it with the silver vandoren optimum lig for clarinet.
I think that is the lig I will try. Order the Bb clarinet lig, correct?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,579 Posts
dave -the bg traditional lig is great but wont work on your excalibur-it taks a clarinet size lig and the traditional lig for clarinet wont fit an alto sax reed. i was hoping to use mine on some of my alto mpcs that take a clarinet size lig but its a no -go

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
If you can find one, Hite has a lig to fit their streamlined rubber alto mpc. I really like the design, it has 4 slightly raised bumps which contact the reed. Their alto lig fits an Excalibur alto mpc perfectly.

·
1,321 Posts
Absolutely a killer mouthpiece! I also play a 7E on alto and its the only mouthpiece I find no faults with. It just gets out of my way. I have no problem playing dark. However, this mouthpiece roars like a baffled piece if needed. I bought it accidently at a music store in college because I dropped my Meyer 7. I decided to try this weird looking piece with a metal rim on it and couldnt believe the tone and control. I still play it! My two favorite ligs for it is the clarinet optimum ligature and a gigliotti.

·
Registered
472 Posts
excuse my lack of knowledge here guys, but can someone tell me what the 'E' represents?

I've seen the 'E' on both tenor and alto mpc's, so is it like the '*' on other brands, i.e., it represents '1/2'?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,242 Posts
If you're looking for a Sanborn-like sound, but one that comes from you and the horn rather than the mpc...
I'd agree that you'd have to be after such a sound to even want to play one of these pieces, but to me, that sound is dialed in to the mouthpiece itself. I actually prefer using my throat/voicing/lip with a Meyer type alto piece to go that direction. But congrats on finding your holy grail.

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK thanks.

I've taken a look at the Morgan website and they have models 'E' and 'EL'. Can you tell me what the 'L' represents then Sop Berator? Perhaps chamber size??

Thanks again.

I've just emailed [email protected] to ask similar information. I hadn't seen his email address earlier.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
They are exceptional mouthpieces, I played one for some time. I replaced it with a handmade HSM piece that was modelled after the Morgan, but was slightly more mellow.
FWIW I used a copy of the Selmer Magnitone lig. I found that worked best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,843 Posts
I have found Yamaha clarinet ligatures are a little smaller than most 2 screw clarinet ligatures, and they work on Morgan Excalibur alto mouthpieces. Worst case scenario - you may have to file the inside of the thumbscrew lugs to make it a little smaller.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just received a message from [email protected] and it's pasted below;

The E is for the Medium Chamber and the EL is the Large Chamber. There is also an EML which is the Medium/Large Chamber which is in between the two. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Dave
JunkDude Music
8511-B Refugee Rd.
Pickerington, OH. 43147
USA

I thought it unlikely that 'E' was for Excalibur since 'Excalibur' is printed in full just above the number, but stranger things have happened.

·
3,406 Posts
Allo Dave
So that Excalibur Alto has done it for you!
I remembered playing a tenor Excalibur for a week,belonged to a friend of mind,,I did nt want to give it back ..lolo
I never tried the alto one's, Man I want one now,,very curious!
So they are that nice.
Thanks for posting.
Best regards
Saxobari

·
Registered
520 Posts
hm...this has been pretty helpful. i havent had 20 years of experience, but i've tried plenty of mpcs, and i keep going back to my meyer, but recently, i've decided i need to get a better sound, which i couldnt get out of my meyer, it wasnt cutting it for me. i've never felt the need to pay that much for mpcs 200+ i mean since i've seen/heard they go for 200+, you got it for 129? amazing!!

although what seperates the Excalibur models from the regular jazz ones and the ML ones? can someone tell me? well, least, major differences, i know to everyone they'll play a little different in some way, but some major differences in between them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
These are extremely well made and good mouthpieces. The biggest thing to remember about any mouthpiece though is that you have to be able to control it. This one is so free blowing and responsive that it will be bright unless you have a significant amount of control over all the other facets of your playing like air speed (which is huge with this piece). Even then, it will still tend to be bright so if you want a warmer sound you will want to look to the larger chamber and be able to vary your airstream while still supporting it. That being said there are a lot of awesome pieces out there and everyone has to work with the ones that allow them to create the sound they hear easier than others. A note on the resposiveness of this piece though, If you have extremely fast fingers, this is an excellent piece for you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts