Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,785 Posts
Yeah, there must be two thousand mouthpieces there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,486 Posts
You'll see them soon individually on ebay, ad nausea. Like "Lost Wax Runyons" or some spin. Perfected by {insert refacer du jour's name here}.

·
3,014 Posts
grumps is still bashing runyons i see. too bad i cant up load a few clips of me playing the custom jazz on alto that would make every one on here jealous of the tone i got on it

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,544 Posts
Unfortunately these kind of job lots are of limited interest to the majority of people in the business because they generally run a one man enterprise and there is only so much that one can do in a day of work.

Even buying them cheap you are buying an enormous amount of work to do and the likelihood that anyone would even use them all even in a lifetime of work is very limited. The seller is an auction house but they would be best advised to make small lots ( but then it will take forever to sell).

The time that it takes to work on a mouthpiece ( most of which must have been rejects and have kept badly all those years) multiplied for the whole lot makes this viable only if someone would buy them for pennies and still throw out the majority because they aren’t fit to be worked upon.

Once I was given for free an enormous amount of cameras and lenses and accessories.

I selected a few things interesting for me, few other things that I may have sold, and then brought the rest to a Charity shop. They sold the stuff rather quickly in several lots because there are always people visiting these shops for that kind of stuff, but it took me a long time to advertise and sell a few limited lots (and I still have things from that time)

Reactions: Brujo

·
13,089 Posts
Ive no bone to pick with Runyon but each piece will involve considerable work with s ceiling on price that is not acceptable to most qualified craftsmen. In otherwords, a refacer could make a lot more refacing various pieces without the investment and marketing needed to move these not so terribly popular or rare pieces. Its not like Runyon products doubled in value when Santy passed. The company just faded from existence.

if they were barrels of slant signatures that would be a different story

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would buy the whole lot if I were in the US. Mainly due to my interest in saxophone related history and manufacturing...
I found a picture with a cool looking sign with "Runyon" on it.
I'm really tempted to get something from this lot... hmm... does someone here live in the neighbourhood?

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
I like the idea of using them in an art project. Some kind of sculpture you would see in an airport somewhere.

These also might be usable as stock mouthpieces to include with inexpensive new saxes. I think a lot of Runyon’s sales of these mouthpieces were for that purpose. They are probably “playable” as molded. But not great.

·
3,014 Posts
mojo is right -a large part of runyons biz was making mpcs to be included with new interments sold. how ever the mpcs still played pretty darn good. i just picked up a rebadged alto model 22 for 14$ that prob came with someones horn. i long had a phantasy of taking over runyons biz since its demise and now it appears to be able to come true-lol. i went to the auction site and many machines from the operation are also on the block as well as a huge cabinet full with many of runyons better models . thinking of bidding on that. its only a days drive to Louisiana from my house. the thought of melting these down makes me sad. i am a huge lover of runyon mpcs and played them on all my horns toward the end of my long carrier. sadly runyons time seems to have passed from favor .

·
3,014 Posts
neff- i dont have the equiptment or computer expertise to up load sound clips here but do have my best playing on a cd where i am using the jazz custom an alto

·
3,014 Posts
also i read a article that santy used a machine to face his mpcs and no hand work was done. if this is the case than mabey the mpsc in all those barrels are ready to play?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
also i read a article that santy used a machine to face his mpcs and no hand work was done. if this is the case than mabey the mpsc in all those barrels are ready to play?
All I can tell you and probably some others will chime in that that sounds like a wet dream. The pieces may be ready to play, just like the $2.85 Chinese plastic mouthpieces are. They look good and if you are Scott Hamilton or David Sanborn, you can probably make them sound decent.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hey, here is an idea, you could take them and at every gig you throw a handful of them in the audience. Those folks wouldn't know what they got but word would spread like wildfire and you have a lifetime supply anyway. And then it would be the "collect all 5 colors" thing, clear orange, blue, black and white. And if you have all colors, you get a free back stage pass for the next dive gig :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,587 Posts
... or the machine broke (or was sold) before these were finished.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts