Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,206 Posts
Holy cow, you're not kidding!

Do you know which manufacturer these belonged to?

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,372 Posts
Whoa.... Any famous Mouthpiece makers based in Louisiana? I'd be very interested in the ones on the shelf - possibly some high end models back there that were used for gathering data on facing curves and such.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
Runyon. Many of them are Runyon 'Custom' and I would imagine the ones in the barrels need their hand finishing. Somebody could make some money on these.

·
13,091 Posts
Hmmm Runyon...wasnt Caharle A from Louisiana? He was a distributor...also his gig dust?

Also I dont know where Paul Coats came from....and lord voldimort was/is in that state.

just thinkin

·
13,091 Posts
Pics are not good enough to tell if they are blanks or finished pieces. My guess is they are plastic which makes their value pretty low. If they are plastic blanks its really low. A million years ago I bought a bunch of runyon blanks to learn to reface. I think I paid 5 bucks each. Its hard to tell but I imagine they ones on the shelves are finished pieces....but who knows? Im sure not buying them and having them shipped to Europe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
Oh wow, I would like to go through that room, but I definitely don't want to buy the lot!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow, I would like to go through that room, but I definitely don't want to buy the lot!!
Yes. And it would take some time to pick through them, unless you just took everything on the shelves and ignored anything in the barrels.

those barrels are enough to keep ebay stocked with crap for years!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics are not good enough to tell if they are blanks or finished pieces. My guess is they are plastic which makes their value pretty low. If they are plastic blanks its really low. A million years ago I bought a bunch of runyon blanks to learn to reface. I think I paid 5 bucks each. Its hard to tell but I imagine they ones on the shelves are finished pieces....but who knows? Im sure not buying them and having them shipped to Europe.
I assumed the barrels contain unfinished blanks, before any quality control etc. with those on the shelves either finished examples or a collection of classics used as models.

wondered if some of the pics of those barrels would provide useful clues to identify, the translucent orange one for example aren’t something I recall seeing many similar examples of in the past.

definitely would be a significant shipping cost even ignoring the cost of purchase. Even so the cost will probably end up being pennies on the dollar for each of them, and maybe not even worth that. Would be a time consuming project just to inspect them all.

·
13,091 Posts
It would be fun but Im too far away to bother. Shipping would be cost prohibitive for any kind of plastic blanks.

Fun but not a reasonable gamble for me. If they are runyon blanks most of them are not worth finishing out.

What people dont realize is by the time you are good at this your hands get significant wear (carpal tunnel etc...) Im not gonna finish out pieces in bulk for 60 or 80 bucks at this stage in life. Its like using your car to deliver pizza. Sooner or later you figure out you are paying your employer, not the other way around.

Let the young bucks have at em.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I dunno, there have been quite a few people who really like Runyons. I have tried them several different times but they never did anything for me. Not actively bad, just kind of passively blah.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
Hmmm Runyon...wasnt Caharle A from Louisiana? He was a distributor...also his gig dust?

Also I dont know where Paul Coats came from....and lord voldimort was/is in that state.

just thinkin
Yes, Paul is in LA and he knew Santy and others at Runyon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,560 Posts
it would take years and years to work on any of these lots and even more to sell them all, this is something that can only be tackled on an industrial scale

Reactions: jazzritmo
1 - 20 of 60 Posts