Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question, and I am hoping for a little help, I have three different pieces that I like and use, the problem is that the bore sizes are all different so changing from one piece to another require that I use Teflon tape to accommodate fitment.
so the question is if I were to take the two smaller bore pieces to work and with a reamer open the bore to the same size as the larger piece and install a new cork the appropriate size to eliminate the need for the Teflon tape would I ruin the pieces ? or would that change characteristic ,sound, etc. of the pieces ? I would think this would be a common issue,
any help or information would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
John

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
An easier, and safer approach is to use something like a clear nail polish around the inside of the bore of the larger piece. It could take 3+ coats, but does not risk making an error with reaming. One of the well known refacers recommended "Sally Hansen Advanced Hard and Nails Strengthening Top Coat" to me for this purpose. I am satisfied with this approach, and no longer constantly add or remove teflon tape when using mouthpieces with different bores.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
My wife doesn't wear nail polish, so I had no idea that nail polish lets off gas for so long. The bore of a Morgan Excalibur was much bigger than my Sakshama piece and flopped around on the neck cork, so I painted on the nail polish in the bore of excalibur - and after three layers it fit great- but unfortunately the fumes from the nail polish lasted more than two weeks - it was very noxious.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
I didn't notice any smell on mine. But then again, I do not seem to notice a lot of things. :scratch:

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
You can open the shank bore with no effect on the sound if you only open the part of the bore that covers the neck cork. If you go a little farther, it should not be a big deal. You only need to make the diameter .010” larger to turn a tight fit into a snug fit on a cork.

I reduce bore diameters using a coat of epoxy and sanding it smooth. I have a video on it. It is more work than applying nail polish but it lasts longer and does not out gas for weeks.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks MOJO this is the information that I was hoping for, I will take the pieces to work and open the bore on two pieces to match the all three pieces then install anew cork
You can open the shank bore with no effect on the sound if you only open the part of the bore that covers the neck cork. If you go a little farther, it should not be a big deal. You only need to make the diameter .010” larger to turn a tight fit into a snug fit on a cork.

I reduce bore diameters using a coat of epoxy and sanding it smooth. I have a video on it. It is more work than applying nail polish but it lasts longer and does not out gas for weeks.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Also note that hard rubber and plastic bores are usually tapered and metal bores are usually straight. This depends if it was formed in a mold or machined out of bar stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts