Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this be possible? Obviously never ever EVER put a metal mouthpiece in the Dishwasher, the salts dull a knife edge so I think this would be bad news, but how about cleaning my black selmer s80 B soprano mpc in the Dishwasher?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
How about just washing it by hand?
Crazy thought I know, why do something yourself when you can have a machine do it for you.
As for your saxophone it’s perfectly fine to throw that in the dishwasher, same as the cat.

·
12,710 Posts
NEVER..NEVER EVER expose a hard rubber mouthpiece to hot water...luke warm at the most.
Dishwashers are setup to sterilize. They get very, very hot.
Bye bye mouthpiece.

..unless you want to send it to me to be refaced after the entire piece warps....then I guess its ok but there are better ways to clean it and spend your money rather than replacing destroyed mouthpieces.

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

If you have white calcium buildup use an old tooth brush (careful of the rails) and vinegar. A small brush is best as sop pieces are small.

·
Registered
434 Posts
...Obviously never ever EVER put a metal mouthpiece in the Dishwasher..
My first thought was obviously never ever EVER put a HR mouthpiece in the dishwasher - listen to Phil-Tone. I wash all my mouthpieces by hand (metal & HR) and use cool to luke warm water and a soft brush.

...the salts dull a knife edge so I think this would be bad news
Would be even worse news for a HR piece...

·
12,710 Posts
Metal doesnt care or warp but I still would not use a dishwasher.

The heat is likely to effect the glue on the bite plate

washing a metal piece in hot water (using the tap) means nothing to metal 100 or so degrees means nothing to metal...but no dishwasher!

·
824 Posts
the salts dull a knife edge
They do? I put my Henckels knives in the DW all the time, I never noticed this.
They get their own spot in the rack, so they don't bang into other silverware.

·
Premium Member
15,486 Posts
You don’t put mouthpieces in the dishwasher!!!!!
How hard is it to clean a tiny little mouthpiece by hand?
Hot water and hard rubber is a disastrous combination.

Come on guys!

·
Registered
171 Posts
How about just washing it by hand?
Crazy thought I know, why do something yourself when you can have a machine do it for you.
As for your saxophone it’s perfectly fine to throw that in the dishwasher, same as the cat.
Unless you've got 50 of them to do, why would you even be thinking about using a dishwasher? Probably the better question is why am I washing this, i.e., what am I trying to remove? There are lots of simple things that are easily available: vinegar (already mentioned), Listerine, baking soda, toothpaste, etc. If you search here, you'll find lots of threads on this.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Unless you've got 50 of them to do, why would you even be thinking about using a dishwasher? Probably the better question is why am I washing this, i.e., what am I trying to remove? There are lots of simple things that are easily available: vinegar (already mentioned), Listerine, baking soda, toothpaste, etc. If you search here, you'll find lots of threads on this.
Or, you know, you could just use hand soap.

After all, after you have a bowel movement, you wash your hands with hand soap, and call it plenty clean enough. If it cleans your hands in that situation, it'll clean off a mouthpiece.

I just use cool water and hand soap; for large mouthpieces if I'm at home I use an old toothbrush to get inside, if not or the piece is small, I just twist up a paper towel and swab it out with that. A Q tip would work too.

There's no need to invent new methods or equipment when you already have all you need, sitting on the soap dish next to your sink.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the salts dull a knife edge
They do? I put my Henckels knives in the DW all the time, I never noticed this.
They get their own spot in the rack, so they don't bang into other silverware.

I was told that by a chef, apparently the salts dull the edge, but I am not sure the science side of it, we're discussing it now and the boss here thinks it could be the acidity of the rinse aid.

Either way, since I stopped putting chef knives in the DW, I haven't had to sharpen them nearly so much.

By extension i imagine that a similar effect would happen to the metal mouthpiece and mess the precision.

So I guess people are saying that mild acid or alkali is not going to harm a mouthpiece surface, but the heat would (though less so if at all on a metal mpc).

As to questions about why use a dishwasher to wash random stuff... Because dishwashers are awesome! Toys, welly boots (yes), brushes, anything at all you need to wash squeaky clean or sterilise that doesn't have glue.

Our house rule used to be if it can't be washed in a dishwasher, it doesn't get washed. May have to make allowances now.....

·
12,710 Posts
Good knives require ongoing maintenance. I personally wont cook with dull knives. If it cant shave the hair on your arm its a butter knife. Serrated steak knives are junk anyway...may as well toss them in a dishwasher. If we are talking about high quality,straight edge knives, dont do it. Its bad for the blade and its bad for the handles. If you are using knives that cost 50-100 apiece they deserve better than being in a dishwasher. A good tool..a good kinfe, if cared for properly can serve you for a lifetime. Better to have 1 great mouthpiece than 10 that are "Meh". Better to have 3 great knives than a drawer of junk. Both require proper care.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Good knives require ongoing maintenance. I personally wont cook with dull knives. If it cant shave the hair on your arm its a butter knife. Serrated steak knives are junk anyway...may as well toss them in a dishwasher. If we are talking about high quality,straight edge knives, dont do it. Its bad for the blade and its bad for the handles. If you are using knives that cost 50-100 apiece they deserve better than being in a dishwasher. A good tool..a good kinfe, if cared for properly can serve you for a lifetime. Better to have 1 great mouthpiece than 10 that are "Meh". Better to have 3 great knives than a drawer of junk. Both require proper care.
Apparently dishwashing detergent is abrasive. That would explain knife dulling.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts