Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been playing on a generic mouthpiece since my Semler C* broke. I was told to get one years ago. I was never told why.

Now, I want a new mouthpiece. Both for classic and jazz, BUT I have no clue on what to do or what to look for or what reed to use or what "A80" or "C*" means. So, I need a total crash course on mouthpieces here. Any help would be great.

Ps, I'm using my friend's Vandoren jumbo java for alto. I think it's an A55, but again, idk what that means. But, it's tough to get a sound out without squeaking on it. So, what brand and strength Rees would you recommend? Thank you for your time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I like the C* as a classical mouthpiece but it is limited for other venues. I have used a Selmer S-80 D for years and find it to be a great all around mouthpiece. The D facing has been my choice since about 1966. Check out the Vandorens too and be sure to try what you buy before purchasing. Different strength reeds will be needed for different tip openings.
Example: the C* has a tip (opening) of .067" and the Vandoren A55 is listed at .097" which is a really open tip for an alto. I use a .075" and would advixe you to go about that tip if you are coming from a C*. Here is a good comparison chart for the tips: http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.altosax.html
Remember, the more open the tip, the softer reed you need and the more closed tip, the harder reed would be in order.
Get some top try (internet) or go to a music store....don't forget those reeds!
A Selmer Super Session is good as is the Meyer 6M.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,925 Posts
Okay, I've been playing on a generic mouthpiece since my Semler C* broke. I was told to get one years ago.......
Ps, I'm using my friend's Vandoren jumbo java for alto. I think it's an A55, but again, idk what that means. But, it's tough to get a sound out without squeaking on it. So, what brand and strength Rees would you recommend? Thank you for your time.
This is odd, I wouldn't call a vandoren Jumbo Java a generic mouthpiece.

An A55 is a very wide tip to attempt classical.

I think a very good mouthpiece to use for classical and jazz is a vandoren java (A35)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
This is odd, I wouldn't call a vandoren Jumbo Java a generic mouthpiece.

An A55 is a very wide tip to attempt classical.

I think a very good mouthpiece to use for classical and jazz is a vandoren java (A35)
I think Vandoren advertised the V5 A35 as being a mouthpieces that's suited for both jazz and classical. The tip and facing length on each is the same but the V5 has a straight baffle while the Java has a rollover and the V5's chamber has a slightly different shape than the Java does.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,925 Posts
I think Vandoren advertised the V5 A35 as being a mouthpieces that's suited for both jazz and classical.
I'm sure they did. Rollover or not, I think there will always be some compromise when looking for a mouthpiece to do both jazz and classical (even more if you want to play pop, rock, blues etc.)

So probably a java or V5 would fit the bill.

But will only be capable of both styles if the player is up to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi... I started with a c** witch I played for about 4-5 years and then got a Vandoren java A45 witch I played for about 10 years. The Vandoren is a more versatile mp... But, as postes before, there are some set backs. I recently been trying some mp and realy love the Otto link tone edge 6... Very easy player that can give a smooth sound but if played hard it gives you that extra edge I like.

The Vandoren you have been playing is not a generic mp... It's a good mp, but is quite open and probabily to open for most players to control (I have trouble with the A45). I recomend you trienal out some mp with tips around 0.75 with various tipes of reeds.

The search for a mp that works for you and gives you what you like is mostly a trial and error process.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
agree that it is difficult to find one mpc that does both. for me, it is not uncommon for me to switch between my vintage selmer soloist and meyer, pending the genre of song.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A good mouthpiece to get is a vandoren optimum AL3 or AL4. They are very good classical mouthpieces and are perfect for concert band. The AL4 has a lager tip opening than the AL3 and it will project more and be a little brighter. Whatever you do, DON'T use a jazz mouthpiece like a java, jodyjazz, meyer, otto link, etc. in a concert band, your band director wouldnt be too happy if you decided to use a jazz mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could do a lot worse than a Yanagisawa hard rubber mouthpiece. I keep one in my case for the times I need something smoother sounding. The Yani works well for classical music and traditional jazz. They're pretty affordable new and even cheaper used. In fact, if you know anyone with a Yanagisawa brand sax, they might even give you the mouthpiece, since it comes with Yani saxes. Best of luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts