Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm playing on a Dukoff D6 mouthpiece and am ready to try something new. I was planning on buying the JodyJazz HR* Tenor mouthpiece but I'm having trouble choosing a tip opening size when comparing to my Dukoff. I've seen the chart but I was hoping for some feedback from anyone who's played with either piece. (And yes, the company does offer a two week trial period, but it's always a bother having to deal with shipping procedures.)

I mainly play jazz and I've been wanting a darker, fatter sound, similar to that of a baritone saxophone while still keeping the sweetness the tenor is capable of. If anyone could recommend an ideal tip opening size (for the JJ HR*), or even an alternative mouthpiece, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
My view is that there was no specific tip opening used exclusively by the jazz greats; there were huge variations.
The sound you wish to emulate comes from them, & to a lesser degree, from their choice of mouthpiece.
May I suggest that you play with the tip opening that is most comfortable for you and, even more importantly, listen assiduously to your idols & get that sound in your head.
The very best of luck....& keep practising with that sound in your head.

PS.
I think that your Dukoff is probably the least suitable mouthpiece for your goal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Want a FAT sounding piece? Check out Drake Custom! If that's out of your budget, try one of his production pieces. They come standard w/a massively large chamber, but I needed more punch, so I got it in a "Medium" chamber (which I would classify as a standard large chamber :) ).

https://www.drakeceramicinstruments.com/Home_Page.html

I would go with his standard, what I call, extra large chamber piece. I'm still deciding between the .100 and .108 I ordered (just received them, so they haven't received much play time). Tip size is up to you. I ordered relatively small tips myself, because of experiences with past mouthpieces. Right now, I'm, leaning more to the .108, and wish I had ordered a .102, and a .108, or a .108 and a .112 . They feel more closed than they're numbers suggest (that's a good thing though, as though there isn't so much resistance, and volumes are crisp at every level) . Point being, if you play, for example, a .110, and feels it feels to small to you on another brand, try his in a .112 and .115 . Likewise, if .110 normally feels too big, try a .105 and .110.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Re: Mouthpiece help please.

The Dukoff will play smaller than an HR* but I doubt you want to go much smaller than the equivalent 6*. What strength reeds are you using on the Dukoff? I would stick somewhere in the 6* - 7* range on the HR*. A student of mine got an HR* 7* last year and sounds great on it.

However, if you are going to spend the $150 for an HR* you might want to consider spending a few more dollars on a custom piece. Check out these:

www.phil-tone.com

Phil does very nice work.

I also have a Phil-Tone customized piece that is similar to an HR* for sale if you are interested.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120326

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts