Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I am not exactly sure how this works but, here go's.
I am a rookie tenor palyer (about 2 years) and bought a Conn "Ladyface" 1956 and have 3 mp's. One is Brillhart #3 the other a Brillhart #5 the last is a Brillhart (white) with a serial # 17957, it has a hairline crack. My first teacher told me I should use the #5 and my first year and 1/2 as I was getting to know the instument and the basics of playing was good. Now I have chance to hook up with some Blues players and have serious problems with low D. Any suggestions? Can the hairline crack be repaired? The original owner who was about 80 when he sold the Ladyface to me, always played the white mp and he played mostly clubs and bigband stuff. In addition I live on Vancouver Island but travel to the lower U.S. several times a year, so I could drop the white mp off at a repair shop. But my bigger concern is the low D problem, as I jam again in about 5 days. I will appreciaite any help. Thanks
Will

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Hi Will,

Welcome to the SOTW Forum.

I moved this post from the thread you had it tacked on to, and created a new thread for it.

Where it was, it was highly unlikely to get the attention and responses you were hoping for.

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
you are unlikely to get it repaired, it would be easier to buy a new brilhart of the same model and facing, or go mouthpiece shopping, try loads and loads, some beechlers which i believe are fairly brilhartish.

good luck

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,024 Posts
will williams said:
Now I have chance to hook up with some Blues players and have serious problems with low D. Any suggestions?
Will
What exactly is the low D problem? I'm guessing you have trouble making it speak and it wants to jump the octave.....if so, this is probably not a mpc issue, unless it only happens with that cracked mpc. Take the horn in to a tech and have it checked for leaks. Even a tiny leak can cause problems with low D, and the other low notes as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm sure the hairline crack can be repaired by any of the mouthpiece gurus frequenting SOTW: Mojo is the only one whose (excellent) work I know first hand, but Ed Zentera and quite a few others are also highly regarded here. But, for what it's worth, let me add that 10M's are often iffy on low D and very unforgiving of insufficient breath support. I know mine is (the low D and the breath support....). I've been following this particular subject matter for quite a while, and a quick search of the forum will yield some more responses that, if memory serves, will confirm this.

My 10M is from 1949, so just after the rolled tone holes and thus probably a close relative to yours. The mouthpiece that works *for me* and for *my* 10M is a Vandoren Java T95; I also have a T55, and with that one the low D problem disappears completely. Since you're playing in a blues band, you may want to try a Jumbo Java -- just a weeee lil' bit more of a low D probelm with this one, but not much at all, not much more than, say, playing the high E on my Ref 54 in tune.

I realize of course that you didn't ask for mouthpiece recommendations. All I'm saying is that a Vandoren -- a company that has really good quality control for a mass-produced mouthpiece, and their tenor Javas can be had for less than US$100.- -- *might* be an alternative worth looking into, if only while you send your favorite Brillhart out to be refaced/repaired. Hope this helps a little,

-j.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh, I should have added that I don't know how the Java relates to a Brillhart soundwise, never having played the latter. So don't blame me if it don't work out..... Good luck!

-j.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts