Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering if you could recommend a mouthpiece that would work well with my Martin Committee I alto. I tried a Yamaha 4c and now Morgan 3C. The morgan sound nice but I find it a bit tricky to play. I'd like something with a nice rich warm tone and a lot of flexibility in volume. Since I've read that earlier Martins can be picky when it comes to the mouthpieces, can you suggest what works well and what I should avoid?

Thanks,

Rafal

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,577 Posts
I had a Committee 2 for a while and played a Phil-Tone Link with a .080 opening and Rigotti 3L Tenor reeds (That is a bit open if you are used to a Yam 4c). It sounded rich and full at all volumes. I could easily achieve what a lot of people consider the classic Martin tone. It was also very easy to get a little edge for some blues and funky stuff.

Look up User Sigmund451 if you need more info on Phil-Tone Mouthpieces.

User Swansong can attest to how great this mouthpiece sounds on a Vintage Conn as well...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
I used a Phil-tone Meyer 6M and it worked well with my 1967 Mark VI, 1937 Martin Comm 1, and 1955 Conn 6M. Plenty of volume but with tone and control.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks All,

What about something like a Selmer Super session or Metal jazz? Or Vandoren V16?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,577 Posts
I'm sure they are all fine too. A Phil-Tone is cheaper, AND you can talk on the phone with the guy making it for you...Just saying.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I use a Selmer S-80 D or a Super Session D on all my Martins. The Comm I is one of my favorites too. Almost anything will work on these. There is a Super Session D for sale in the marketplace section here at SOTW for a VERY good price!

·
Registered
8 Posts
To second swperry1, I've emailed Phil-Tone a few times and he seems to be a reputable and upstanding artist that truly cares about his work and his clientele. When I buy a tenor mouthpiece, it will be a Phil-Tone.

And if our comments aren't enough, search the SOTW site and you'll find several pieces of evidence to back us up.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts