Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mouthpiece for jazz band

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  playitfunky 
#1 · (Edited)
I need a mouthpiece that is loud and gives a good edge and brightness to the tone. I am looking at either a Vandoren V16 8s or a Jumbo java. I need to give off a greater volume of sound because I am playing 1st alto in the jazz band. I can only afford about $100 and would prefer Vandoren. My Meyer just doesn't give off enough sound. I would like to still play in the altissimo and the low register.
- How would a Barone NY compare to the V16?
-any comments are very appreciated

#5 ·
The question is are Lakey mouthpieces consistent, the reason I want Vandoren is i've read that they are very consistent.

#6 ·
No, I don't think they are. My reed was uneven on my friends lakey and boy was it hard to play. But I'm with Grumps, V16 is great. I like the regular Java over the Jumbo Java though, check them out if you can.

But don't expect to overpower a trumpet section if that's what your going for...

#7 ·
I don't want to overpower the trumpet section, I need to be able to stand out in sax soli's. My sound just doesn't have the volume to do so.

#10 ·
Lakeys are loud, inconsistent and generally poor mouthpieces for the jazz (big) band situation. The Vandoren V16 are a much better choice.

Honestly, if you want a sound like a Lakey, you're better off with a hard rubber Berg Larsen, Vandoren Jumbo Java, or even a Dukoff. But the sound is closer to a bright pop sound than a jazz sound.

#12 ·
I've been changing my opinion of Lakeys. Some of the models have a slighlty larger chamber and will play well with a little facing work. The 7*3 is one and I think the 4*4. But yeah some play awful out of the box. I would also look into the Beechler Diamond Inlay medium chamber. Maybe get a few pieces on trial from WWBW. Yes the V16's are more consistent. Runyon Custom or Custom Jazz are worth trying too and are pretty cheap.

It really depends on the sound of the big band, some are modern "modern" and loud while some are more of a traditional Basie thing and whether you play on the dark or bright side. Unless the trumpets are real wimps I doubt you'll need to worry too much about overpowering them.

#13 ·
The important thing is to blend with the rest of the section, but at the same time lead the section. You need volume to lead (as well as the other qualities), and very often volume gets confused with edge or brightness. Yes a very bright or edgy mouthpiece will cut above the rest of the section very often, but it will sound like "you" vs "them, rather" than a team with you at the helm.

#15 ·
I played lead alto in a college band with the Jumbo java, I always got compliments on my large full sound and presence...this was before I found out you "couldn't" do that with a Jumbo java. I played the Jumbo for at least 5 years, so I am not basing this on a 5 minute trial in a music store.

#16 ·
J. Max knows what he is talking about. My teacher plays rubber bergs on alto, but I just got a V16 A6, and it would be great for lead alto in a jazz band. When pushed it can be loud and stand out in a soli, but can also blend for backgrounds and such. You can find them for around $80. I got mine with an optimum lig for $95

#17 ·
Wow thanks again these replies are very helpfull and good. Also you make a great point SuperDave, when I got my meyer it was very squeky and hard too play, now it's my main piece (for now at least).:D

#18 ·
Also (sorry for bringing this up a bit late) my tone seems a bit thin, could a mouthpiece make it fuller or a reed change or just straight up practicing make a difference.

#21 ·
In general practicing is alway advised (!) but also could make things worse if you ingrain bad habits. Best would be to take some lessons from someone who can teach embouchure concepts well. Some teachers are great with musicality or technique or improv but cannot teach embouchure. Try asking some local players who they suggest. Embouchure changes tend to feel uncomfortable for the first few weeks or months, so if you are advised to make any changes, try to give it a chance.

Possibilty a change to your mouthpiece/reed setup is advised if your reed is too soft for your tip opening. But also changing the placement and the amount of firmness of the lip on the reed can make huge changes to your sound. Try more air support too.

#22 ·
I believe it is a medium chamber.
-BTW I have a teacher now and am completly happy! :)

#23 ·
Also, what would be the difference in sound of the same piece but with a larger tip opening? say the difference between a 6 and an 8.

#24 ·
Larger opening might give you a little more volume, depending on the reed combination I think. You might want to look for a Morgan. I used to play with an alto player who played a Morgan Excalibur, I think around a 7. His sound stood out JUST enough that the sax section could pick him out. But he still blended extremely well. I have one of these for my Tenor and it's a great piece. Used to have a 8EL alto piece, but i traded that a while back.

#25 ·
MM said:
I've been changing my opinion of Lakeys. Some of the models have a slighlty larger chamber and will play well with a little facing work. The 7*3 is one and I think the 4*4. But yeah some play awful out of the box. I would also look into the Beechler Diamond Inlay medium chamber. Maybe get a few pieces on trial from WWBW. Yes the V16's are more consistent. Runyon Custom or Custom Jazz are worth trying too and are pretty cheap.

It really depends on the sound of the big band, some are modern "modern" and loud while some are more of a traditional Basie thing and whether you play on the dark or bright side. Unless the trumpets are real wimps I doubt you'll need to worry too much about overpowering them.
I just got a Lakey 7*3 for my tenor and it plays really well and loud with a medium soft reed although I've had to adjust my embochure a bit.

#26 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, the problem with morgans are they are hard to find and when I do they are a bit pricey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.