Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my community theatre is going put on the musical Grease. I probably will being playing tenor in the pit. Though i play mostly alto i can still play tenor. The only thing is for tenor i have a regular student mouthpiece to play on (i have a meyer 5m on alto). I wanted to get a professional mouthpiece for tenor that has that sorta loud grease sound to it (can't really explain it). What do you think will be a perfect match?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Cool - you'll have fun playing that show. I played Grease last summer and enjoyed it. It was the first time in my middle-aged life that I needed to get a rock 'n roll sound. I bought a Dukoff mouthpiece from Ed Zentera (EZ on SOTW) and was very pleased with it. He's great to deal with and provides terrific products.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A Jumbo Java might fit the bill. A Rico Royal metalite might work, the tenor ones don't run too much money. If you're interested I have a 9(.115 tip I think) that I would be willing to sell. Possibly a Runyon Custom(with a spoiler) or one of my favorites, the metal Quantum. Metalite would definately be the cheapest alternative.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
I'd throw in a modern metal Brilhart. They're the same as one of the Runyons, but I've seen them sell for dirt cheap and they're pretty good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,768 Posts
Keep in mind that even though you need a rock n roll sound, you're still going to be playing in a pit, and you'll probably still have a conductor/director telling you to be quiet, so an especially loud mouthpiece may not be quite what you need. They always take the fun out of these things!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
i am playing in greace aswell, i tried a quantum, and i found the sound really thin and not quite right in my opinion. also the stock lig doesnt fit over the reeds with a quantum. i got an old Babbit HR piece and it plays relly nice, not right for greace but since i cant afford anything else itll have to do.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
I have done over 80 Peformances of Grease in the last 7 years -trust me - you want a Berg Larsen 110/1/M Rubber

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I was fortunate to play it with some guitar players who played at a tasty volume. Plus, the singers were miked well. So I elected to switch from my Delrin Quantum to a Ponzol M1. Not as loud but a more husky sound for me.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I played a few Grease shows, and I used a Morgan 9E. Not quite brash enough for my taste, but fine in a pit. Should have used my berg, but too much work to get used to it. Also should have used my RPC, that will do anything...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts