Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a alto Conn New Wonder (II), year 1926 I guess. It was in pretty bad shape before I got it fixed. It's now quite ok exept the D and D# are out of tune. The repairman said he could not fix it, but a right mouthpiece could make it better. Is this a typical problem with these old Conns or is mine just ruined?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Which D /D#? lower, mid, upper register? Are they sharp, flat? What mouthpiece(s) are you using now? How bad is the problem?
I have not heard that problem with 6Ms mentioned before. Mine tends to a little stuffy in the mid range around those keys, but I just compensated for that by switching mouthpieces.
You might need to find a new repairman. Some just fix leaks, springs, and straighten/replace parts. Others know vintage horns and how to correct issues. (The difference beteen a tech and an artist.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the mid range D and D#, they are really stuffy and high. The whole mid range is a bit high. I'm using now Meyer 6M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I play on a 1927 Conn Alto and find it is sensitive to MP's. I have found great intonation with the older Brilharts. I have absolutely no intonation problems with the older serial numbered Ebolins and Tonalins that I have tried.

I used to play on a Meyer 5m and did not notice any intonation problems on that MP.

Terrible intonation problems with a few modern jazz MP's though.

Make sure you are pusing the MP all the way up to the Micro-tuner on the instrument.

Steve

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I used a Meyer 6M, Runyon Custom 7, Selmer S80 C* and a Jody Jazz ESP on my Conn with no noticable intonation problems or lack thereof relating to the mpcs.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My conn 6m/morgan 6m combo works great.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,625 Posts
The earlier Conns from the 20s (New Wonder) are more mouthpiece picky than the later (30s) Naked Ladies. I imagine if you wind the mouthpiece on further the horn plays sharp but the D/D# issue is not so bad or not there. In this case you need a larger chambered mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
siffcola said:
It's the mid range D and D#, they are really stuffy and high. The whole mid range is a bit high. I'm using now Meyer 6M.
The midrange is high on any alto I have ever tried particularly on vintage selmers, such as balanced actions and cigar cutters. I would expect vintage Conns to have the same problem. Just one more problem to be solved by practising.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts