Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I purchased my first vintage horn a while back and I was looking for a mouthpiece to match. I currently play on a Link STM 7. It's nice and all but I don't think it really matches up with the Chu. I'm kind of looking for a sound that can scream when I want it to and really get that great Conn resonance. I saw a thread pretty similar to this but it was difficult to find answers. My price range is about 200.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Im guessing the thread mentioned was mine. The answer ended up being "keep the STM...". Mine's a tenor though. It seems to be a good answer in that it's a cheap solution that sounds good. The bad news is you won't get to exercise your GAS with that answer. ;).

·
Registered
865 Posts
I play on a similar Chu alto, and there are 3 pieces which work awesomely for me:
. HR Kessler Custom 7 (a surprise find - yet this one is custom-worked on to Meyer 6MM profile)
. Modern Brilhart 3* (worked on by PhilTone to .078 opening)
. Theo's Gaia HR 8 (I had a great price on this piece - which I could afford the size 7 though)
The first two pieces are very much within the price tag of $200. The last one, if you're lucked out, you might find a used one for ~ $300
Sorry, but this wouldn't help much to GAS controlling issue !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
My main alto (out of 20+) is a pre-Chu and I use a Selmer Super Session D. You may like the E or even the F better. Chamber matches up well and it carries well with a good full sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts