Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I´m about to get my first alto sax a Buescher TH&C, always played tenor on a metal Otto Link 7*...
Any thoughts about what mouthpieces to try or which have worked best for you.

I was recommended to try a Brillhart HR & Great Neck, an Otto Link Reso Chamber. But any other suggestions are welcome!

Regards!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've tried a Jody Jazz HR on my Super 400 and works fine. The ARB Great Neck is similar to Brilhart HR and cheaper, and both are good options. Un saludo, Ignacio.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
true about using any mouthpiece just make sure it is close to your concept of what you want in a mouthpiece. if you can get one at all try a Morgan M or Jazz model on your Buescher top hat & cane.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,120 Posts
I always encourage people to check out the stock mouthpiece as a reference to how the horn was intended to sound in its day.

The Top Hats came with this piece, which is white plastic and was made by Runyon. They're a 1940s medium chamber design which plays a little like the Brilhart Tonalin.

You might not want to use the stock piece a lot of course, but I find it helps you get to know the "baseline" or "conservative" sound of the horn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts