Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, thanks for the add.
I've got a Buescher Tru Tone Bari from the 1930's inbound.
Could a knowledgeable person advise me on a new mp, please?
Something decent in the low, middle, and pro ranges.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
You won't want to use a "modern" high baffle duck call grass cutter tiny chamber piece on that. It'll play wicked sharp, you'll have to pull way out which will throw the horn out of tune with itself, and you'll lose the tonal quality you bought it for.

Otto Link, Meyer would be my first destinations. Get a handle on it with something like that and then you can explore the boutiques.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,922 Posts
My main baritone until just recently was a true tone from the mid-20s. They don't play as sharp as a Conn or Martin, but do work better with larger chambered pieces. My favorite on it was the link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
I paired my TrueTone bari with a .105R by Ron Coelho (RPC Mouthpieces at saxmpc.com). That was my favorite vintage bari - besting several Mulligan-era Conns and Selmer low Bb horns.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a Buescher Big B bari for years. I tried many pieces that didn't work but found the Morgan "Vintage" piece to work very well. These are also not super expensive!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the tips, and will check into them.
Looks like I've come to the right place. 👌

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,359 Posts
I know it's a newer bari, but my Buescher 400 tunes well for me using a 'modern' Yamaha 5C and Rousseau 5R.
My son-in-law uses a Metalite with no issues.
Try a LOT of pieces. It is surprising what actually works well on older horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,247 Posts
If you have the money to drop, one that will give you the gruff Gerry mulligan sound is the Morgan GM XL
Pity it’s not in the low to middle range the OP was looking for.
Pity all around really as I’m sure many Bari players would be interested in such a piece if it were more attainable.
Thankfully RPC pieces are attainable for most and have demonstrated their worth on both vintage and modern horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,430 Posts
Low $ and Pro? Good luck. From your new member post you mentioned 0 experience. Good thing you’ve found an instructor so close. Each of your three saxes will be different to play. Ask your teacher which one he feels best to start on. Alto will most likely be his suggestion. Have the chosen sax cleaned oiled and adjusted. If you really need to make noise with the Bari get a Yamaha 5c. Under $50. Pro no. Solid starter yes. Correct for your Bari, you’ll know in a couple years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I play an old Buescher Bari - serial number dates it to 1911 but has features from slightly newer horns (early aristocrat).
I use a Caravan with a Rovner Bass (Large Baritone) Saxophone Ligature (Dark) - it is a large chamber piece and suits it very well. (https://caravanmouthpieces.com/ecc_cms/mouthpieces/).
You need the Large Baritone ligature and Ron sells them on his site. They are very resonably priced and I found him very easy to deal with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,135 Posts
Rico Metalite M7, $25

·
Registered
43 Posts
Modern mouthpieces play sharp on vintage baris. I've had this problem with a 60s Buescher 400 and with my current 1947 Pan American. Possibly the best solution is to find a vintage "pickle barrel" mouthpiece. Another more expensive solution is to buy a new and longer neck. Alternatively you could have the neck extended (I don't like hacking vintage instruments). I bought a Rico Metallite mouthpiece and had it extended as a test. As it worked well and looked good I had the same operation done on my favourite Greg Wier HR mouthpiece. It is nowhere as easy to do on a metal mouthpiece though.
My first stop these days would be
https://www.morganmouthpieces.com/

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,583 Posts
I wouldn't normally put what may be marketing into a post, but in this case it is very specific and there are very few Pro alternatives at an intermediate price.

The PPT Signature baritone is based on a specific facing vintage Otto Link Slant Signature which I hunted down because I had been having such little luck with good intonation mouthpieces for vintage baritones that weren't tubby pickle barrels.

Soundclips and a review from no less than Intonation Station regarding it's tuning on a Conn 12M

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-baritone-mouthpiece-ppt

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anybody with a vintage American baritone, bass or anyone with a modern bari looking for a traditional style baritone mouthpiece should at least check out what's being offered by www.morganmouthpieces.com. I would be surprised if anyone on the planet has put more thought into developing bari sax mouthpieces than Erik Greiffenhagen. The four models currently being offered (Classical, Florida, Indiana and the GM Model) all work well on both vintage and modern baritones AND all four models are also available with an extended shank for those particularly picky baritones. The Classical XL, Florida XL and Indiana XL are not listed on the website yet, but they are available and these models replace the old Double Chamber model which was available in the past.

They are not cheap as they are all hand-crafted inside and out (not just hand faced) by probably the most experienced mouthpiece craftsmen on the planet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really appreciate everyone's input.
I've got a lot to learn, and all of this helps.
Had a repair estimate done on the tenor, and it is 3 times what I paid for it, so that will have to wait.
Just picked up the baritone from UPS (GOD, how I despise that company).
Stopped by Sam Ash and got a 5c mouthpiece and reeds. The thing is huge.
Just got the packaging off the sax and took a few pics. It appears to be in really good condition, considering the age. There's a solder repair and a few small dents on the bottom. No biggie, is my guess. Going to try to figure out the year of manufacture in a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Looks like a good 'un. I note you have the superior implementation of fork Eb. You will enjoy using that.

I think that low C guard is off a Conn. That'll throw a lot of people off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts