Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am playing already for two years on a BergLarsen 115/2/SMS. It's not the most easy mouthpiece, but I just adore the sound of it. Since half a year, I have a new sax, a tenor Chicago Jazz series.

Now the problem : on my other tenors (Raymond Dubois, see avatar, and a Selmer Signet) the mouthpiece works just fine. On the Chicago Jazz series, the mouthpiece turns out to be very sensitive. Sometimes it really feels as if somebody is blowing from the other side. There is quite some resistance, depending on the note I play, and sometimes it just appears suddenly. This results in irritating squeaks, mostly on the low D and below. overtones are more easy than hitting the low ones, and that's a rather new experience for me...

I'm getting used to the combination, but I was wondering if I shouldn't go for another mouthpiece after all. Buying yet another sax is a bit expensive.

So far I've tried following mouthpieces :
Selmer soloist : worked, but tone is quite harsh and subtoning not really possible
Otto Link 8* : worked, but asked even more air than my current one.
Otto Link 7* : worked, but tone is thinning out, subtoning not that easy
BergLarsen hard rubber 115/2/SMS : less on the chirping, but needs more air and is rather expensive (costs more than the Otto Links)

I still want to try a smaller BergLarsen (105 or so).

My question : If you have one, which mouthpiece do you play?
My second question : my teacher told me my sax is basically a copy of the Selmer Super Action (although I dare to doubt that) : which mouthpieces might be worth giving a try?

Thanks in advance

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Try a Tenney-STM for great subtoning. On my B&S 2001 that one and a Zagar bronze are my favorites.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I have been playing a CJS tenor for about 2 years and I've tried a Dukoff D, Guardala Studio, Dukoff H, and now on a modded Link STM. All worked rather well.

You shouldn't be getting a lot of resistance. Have your horn leak checked. It should be able to play those mpcs just fine. There almost assuredly is a leak in your horn. These things resonate incredibly well when they are tight. They are more considered copies of the Mark VI than the Super Action.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
Jody Jazz DV, SR Tech Fusion, Morgan 8EL, Jody Jazz HR*7*, RPC 110R, RPC 115 . . . .

they all played great on my B&S Allora!

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
hgiles said:
I have been playing a CJS tenor for about 2 years and I've tried a Dukoff D, Guardala Studio, Dukoff H, and now on a modded Link STM. All worked rather well.

You shouldn't be getting a lot of resistance. Have your horn leak checked. It should be able to play those mpcs just fine. There almost assuredly is a leak in your horn. These things resonate incredibly well when they are tight. They are more considered copies of the Mark VI than the Super Action.
I agree with this. This doesn't sound like a mouthpiece problem.

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought so too first, and did it to the tech. It's checked twice, two toneholes were leveled, and it seals. Resistance might be coming from mechanics sometimes (closing the wrong valve at the wrong time). I noticed that the resistance is most noticeable with my BergLarsen. The other pieces I tried don't give the resistance I feel with the BergLarsen.

Thank you all for the tips and considerations. I'm going to search on.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any updates on finding a new mpc? I recently tried a Dukoff D chamber on my CJS earthtone tenor and its a great combo. Oddly enough, Ive never gotten this particular Dukoff to play well on ANY other horn. I like it much better than the Berg 95/0 that I have also tried on the horn. The Dukoff has good focus and punch, but will still subtone and is not shrill like the Berg.

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried some others as well, as I stated in another thread. The horn was checked a third time, and it turned out my G# lifted slightly when using the lower keys. Since that is adjusted, it plays a lot better. Still it's a horn with quite some resistance in combination with my BergLarsen. I also noticed that the odd resistance I feel has to do with sloppy fingering. If I close the keys a split second too late, the pressure kicks back in my sax. Might be the combination of the horn and the high baffle of my BergLarsen

The Dukoff I tried was too big for me (a 9), and was limited to honkin' big time. But I agree, they're easier to play on a CJS than a BergLarsen.

I tried a Meyer, and while playing nicely, it wasn't my sound and still not what I was looking for.

The Lebayle Jazz I tried gave by far the best result, great tone and easy to control.Also the resistance problem is non-existent. But the tip opening was too small for me, I lacked the power I can give on my BL. Still, I'm doubting whether I would buy it nonetheless. Maybe just wait until they have a bigger tip opening lying around so I can try that one too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,464 Posts
You might want to look into an RPC rollover model with a 110 or 105 tip opening. I've got an older 110 that just seems to tame difficult and finicky horns.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Jolle,
Do yourself a favor call Phil Barone. He'll take the time to consult with you.
I've gone from Link's to Dukoff's to Guardala's. I've played a Barone New York since 1995 and I always came back to it. It's like a really good tone-master. However, having said that, I've been playing his Soundmaster model for the past three months and it's as close to being the perfect "all around" mouthpiece as I have ever played. It'll play subtone, it'll scream. I find it to be pretty reed friendly as well. Mine is a .110 (8) and I'm playing an RJS 3s.
I've gone down in reed strength and I find it to be responsive but not without a little resistance which you need to help you shape sound pallet. That's my $.02. I have to get around to posting some pictures of it.

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I could afford it, but I'm afraid I'm a bit too early in my development and a bit too far away to go that far in my hunt for a mouthpiece. I've been considering it already, but it will be for later. I mean, it would be quite expensive sending a mouthpiece back and forth to make some adjustments to it. I don't want to waste his time on me before I can tell him exactly what I want.

But thank you for the suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts