Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cheap Chinese copy of a Yanagisawa 991 (I think at least). Currently I'm playing a Rico Metalite M7, Hemke 3 reeds.
The setup is too bright and too shrill, according to a few friends, and a couple recordings.
I would like to find a mouthpiece that has a warm sound (a tad brighter than Joshua Redman), preferably under 100$.
Any suggestions?
Also I've tried a rubber Meyer and a Jody Jazz DV, but for some reason it caused the middle C and D to gain a good semitone of difference. Why would that be?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm playing a Yamaha 6C with Rico Royal #2 reeds on my Venus curved soprano, and I love the tone.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd get the horn checked by a tech. C is a funky note on my soprano and my tech has compensated a bit for it,

You might try the Jody Jazz Classic or HR.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
Yes, I have a suggestion. Instead of trying mouthpieces, why not try reeds first? Just today I played my metalite 7 on soprano and it played pretty good with #2 reeds - not harsh or shrill at all. I know everyone is different as far as mouthpiece compatibility goes, but it may be a lot easier than chasing mouthpieces - at least until you try reeds first. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
I sold a bunch of those copies from China and the Yamaha 4C was my best choice. You can go up to a 6C but it makes the low notes harder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of trying mouthpieces, why not try reeds first?
I have. I've tried a #3 Fibracell, which is much closer to a 2.5, a Rico Orange 2, Vandoren ZZ 3-3.5.
The Fibracell and the Ricos were even brighter than the Hemkes, and the ZZ were still to bright.
I think I might just be a naturally 'way too bright' player.
I was thinking about the Yamahas. But what's the difference in the different models? Only tip opening? Or are there facing changes etc?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
Those mouthpieces from China are way too bright. I take them off and sell them for $7. The Yamaha mouthpieces come in 2 types. The standard (4C, etc.) are plastic and very good. Tips are 3,4,5 and 6. The Custom models (4CM, etc.) are Hard Rubber and play different. Also various tips and each one is .002" more open than the same number standard model. Thus, a 4C is .047" and a 4CM is.049". I like the standard much better than the Custom. They can be loud without being icy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe your sax is also too bright. it is a straight one? what is the maker?
Yeah, its a straight sax, labelled Tmshan...problem is, that doesn't even mean anything in Chinese. As far as I can tell it's a Yanagisawa 991 copy, with straight and bent necks.

Those mouthpieces from China
My mouthpiece isn't from China...it's a Rico Metalite M7 (unless those are from China, then sorry for my ignorance :D)
Alright, looking forward to trying a few models then. Should I be using a harder reed with the more closed pieces? I like a tad of resistance, since I'm used to a STM Link 7* on tenor.

·
1,594 Posts
the yamaha 4c is made of plastic whereas the Yamaha custom of rubber but this is not the only difference.
the custom has a square chamber like the Selmer mouthpiece. Round chambers like Link,meyer, Runyon custom sound more even.
the metalite is a nice plastic piece with an "aggressive" baffle combined with a Chinese thin yellow brass straight sop... hmmm[rolleyes]

I guess you don´t have a full sounding soprano but you could make it better with a round chamber mpc like the Yamaha 4c or even a Meyer 4M. The Meyer 4m/5m (rubber+round chamber) gives you a nice mellow round sound.

yes, buy a meyer mpc before you buy a new horn.:bluewink:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd say get a Selmer S80 C* and Gonzalez 3 reeds.
You can find the Selmer S80s on eBay very cheap, and they are a very versatile piece.

Also, the Gonzalez reeds give a great, warm sound on soprano.

·
1,594 Posts
the selmer S80 is not warmer than a round chamber Meyer/Link or even the Yamaha 4C. My experience playing a Conn curvy and a Saxello Type CE Winds professional.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
How about trying the Vandoren Optimums or V5s? I bought an SL4 recently and am loving it. The short facing will take some getting used to, but I think this mouthpiece sounds beautifully round and even.

I used to subtone a lot and do other such tricks with my embouchure to tone down the inherent brightness of the soprano, but now I can finally start playing the soprano with a straight on embouchure and be happy with the sound I am getting.

Also, Dave is right about trying different reeds - these do make a big difference too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,135 Posts
Have you tried a Rico Graftonite? They're cheap and worth a shot, try it alongside the 4C and see what you think. I've got a cheap Chinese soprano and mine sounds rounder and fuller using the Rico than my 4C, but then I didn't really A-B them. I just preferred the Rico's tone... YMMV.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
If you are looking for a darker sound then try an Otto Link Tone Edge. < $100 (about $70 on Amazon), generally very good sound. The suggestion to try a Bari is good too, though I think the Bari's are a little less consistent than Links (yes, I said that - it's true for soprano pieces only).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as I can tell the 'standard' soprano pieces are quite different from the tenors. Do everyone use smaller opening pieces on their sopranos?
the yamaha 4c is made of plastic whereas the Yamaha custom of rubber but this is not the only difference.
the custom has a square chamber like the Selmer mouthpiece. Round chambers like Link,meyer, Runyon custom sound more even.
Are the Runyons maybe an option too? Not sure if my local stores carries those though.
My concept of sound is really based on versatility. I'd like to be able to take my sound into many styles and still sound 'in place'.

·
14,361 Posts
What do you mean by "smaller opening" pieces? Do you mean the chamber opening (horseshoe shape, small and round, large and round, etc.) or the distance between the tip of the reed and the tip of the mouthpiece? I use fairly "open" soprano mouthpieces (.065 to .070 tip openings - requires softer reeds) while others like the tip openings to be under .055, requiring harder reeds. Those choices are personal and depends on one's own embouchure.

The Runyons I own and have seen have a much smaller "bite", meaning their beaks are smaller than most soprano pieces. Some find that disconcerting, others don't. Another personal thing. I prefer mouthpieces other than Runyons. DAVE

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Smaller tip opening. For example the Selmer C*, according to Jody Jazz, is only a .047", and the 4C about the same size.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts