Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone who is making or sells removable mouthpiece extensions ie: for a bari mpc on a vintage horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
I guess that it would need to be a case by case product since the permutations between mouthpiece diameter and neck pipe diameter have to be mind boggling.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Any good mouthpiece technician should be able to oblige — but as milandro says, it would need to be a case by case product.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts

·
12,712 Posts
Any good mouthpiece technician should be able to oblige — but as milandro says, it would need to be a case by case product.
Actually, most of us are not going to have the tools to do that. Unless you are machining your own pieces from stock you probably wont have what it takes to do the job with precision. One might be able to rig something but so could the average handy joe....cutting tools, epoxy and a donor shank....but Im not gonna mess with it.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Is there anyone who is making or sells removable mouthpiece extensions ie: for a bari mpc on a vintage horn?
If you find a mouthpiece whose internal volume is more correctly matched to the scale design of your instrument, you won't need to extend anything, and I will also predict that you will find improvements in consistency of intonation (fewer individual "wonky" notes), ease of overtones and altissimo, and responsiveness of the highest and lowest notes.

You don't have to give up edge and projection in going from a small (relatively) chamber piece to a large (relatively) chamber piece. You just have to pick wisely.

I went through this process about 10 years ago (gee, I didn't realize how long it's been) and changing my mouthpiece selection made a huge diffference, as well as allowing me to avoid extensions and suchlike.

·
7,906 Posts
There was a member on here from Melbourne who made an extension for his PPT Bari piece in order to use it on his Martin Handcraft Baritone.
His name was Greg, but I don’t recall his SOTW member name.
It was machined from aluminium or perhaps even stainless.
I believe it was quite successful.
There was a thread about it on here, but life’s too short to try and find it using the search function.

·
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the myriad of replies.
I am more than aware of the need for sufficient mouthpiece volume on these horns but I want to give my Lamberson a try on a low Bb horn.
The Music Medic replacement necks are not cheap (USD850) and not an option for me so an extension is a cheaper more viable option. I'll keep looking but might start emailing people to see what they can make

·
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a member on here from Melbourne who made an extension for his PPT Bari piece in order to use it on his Martin Handcraft Baritone.
His name was Greg, but I don’t recall his SOTW member name.
It was machined from aluminium or perhaps even stainless.
I believe it was quite successful.
There was a thread about it on here, but life’s too short to try and find it using the search function.
Thanks Nick, I have a dig. I did a search on here and google did not show up much, but I'll try again. Will post when I find it

·
7,906 Posts
A fitter and turner should be able to help.
The extension I saw was a metal sleeve turned to fit on cork of neck with a piece in front turned to the size of neck and corked like a neck.
The corked piece being the longer of the sections to allow for movement of mouthpiece in or out.
Hope that makes sense?
Someone with a metal lathe should be able to knock one up pretty easily if they have your neck and mouthpiece.
Here’s a rough drawing of what I mean.
This may only work though if the tuning point of the mouthpiece is beyond that of the end of the neck cork.
Otherwise a more permanent extension fitted to mouthpiece might be a better option.
View attachment 230708

·
2,008 Posts
A fitter and turner should be able to help.
The extension I saw was a metal sleeve turned to fit on cork of neck with a piece in front turned to the size of neck and corked like a neck.
The corked piece being the longer of the sections to allow for movement of mouthpiece in or out.
Hope that makes sense?
Someone with a metal lathe should be able to knock one up pretty easily if they have your neck and mouthpiece.
Here’s a rough drawing of what I mean.
This may only work though if the tuning point of the mouthpiece is beyond that of the end of the neck cork.
Otherwise a more permanent extension fitted to mouthpiece might be a better option.
View attachment 230708
As you say, it would only work if the mouthpiece was completely OFF the current neck at its correct tuning point. I doubt whether that would be true for any mouthpieces.

You could then cut back the shank of a mouthpiece to make it true, but that seems crazy to me when it is fairly straightforward to machine a shank extension and fix it onto a mouthpiece for use with the original neck, at least for ebonite mouthpieces. The extension would be a simple cylindrical length of pipe less than an inch long. That could be machined from ebonite rod or from an existing mouthpiece that isn't needed any more.

Rhys

·
7,906 Posts
As you say, it would only work if the mouthpiece was completely OFF the current neck at its correct tuning point. I doubt whether that would be true for any mouthpieces.

You could then cut back the shank of a mouthpiece to make it true, but that seems crazy to me when it is fairly straightforward to machine a shank extension and fix it onto a mouthpiece for use with the original neck, at least for ebonite mouthpieces. The extension would be a simple cylindrical length of pipe less than an inch long. That could be machined from ebonite rod or from an existing mouthpiece that isn't needed any more.

Rhys
Agreed it is certainly not ideal, but it supposedly worked for the guy who did it.
Perhaps there is more behind the story.
Maybe his neck had been shortened in the past in which case it would work.
Or maybe he was using a tenor mouthpiece.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just got an extension made for my AM Vintage Series bari pieces by my repair technician in France (Atelier W in Montreuil near Paris). It is a permanent modification.

Here are some before/after photos:
View attachment 231000

As mentioned by Phil, mouthpiece technicians will not make extensions.

·
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That’s great!

I’ve found someone who can do it for me, making extensions similar to the DrSax ones out of delrin. I’m getting some made for my favourite tenor mouthpieces too, which sit out quite far on my 10m tenor neck.
Will post photos when they’re done.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Nothing seems to be less standardized, than mouthpiece inner diameters. My first reaction to a solution, is a kit of sleeves that all have the same ID for a smaller cork diameter, and successive OD's to match any and all mouthpieces, but it would be tricky to maintain a good seal between the sleeve and MP using a metal sleeve. A compliant material for the sleeve will be too weak for the thin wall of a sleeve. I got over my mouthpiece tasting phase, and just had my corks adjusted to my fav mouthpiece for each horn.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Any competent machinist can whip something up in an hour or so, if you provide accurate measurements of the OD of the mouthpiece shank and the ID of the mouthpiece bore.

If you think you would like to remove the extension later, I would consider attaching it to the mouthpiece with beeswax (the OP being concerned with a metal mouthpiece, if I recall correctly). Then if you want to remove it later, you just dunk it in hot water to soften the wax. Or, if you want it to be permanent, remove it, clean off all the wax, and either solder it down or use an epoxy.

Attaching it removably to a hard rubber or plastic MP which can't be subjected to heat is more tricky. I'd probably just use electrical tape around the outside lapping over onto the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
As to the variation in mouthpiece bores, I am seriously contemplating buying a reamer of the correct size to fit the largest MP of each of my alto, tenor, and baritone, and then just reaming everything out to that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts