Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my rental sax will have to be returned after I take my saxophone playing test for my woodwind methods class next week, instead of at the end of the semester when the class is over like I was expecting. I recently bought a used one, but it needs some work and is currently out of commission, meaning I won't have anything to practice on for at least a few weeks, if not longer. I currently warm up with 10-15s tones on the mouthpiece and neck, but are there good exercises to do with just the mouthpiece that will help me stay in shape or even make a little progress until I have a full instrument to use? Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi WolfSlayer, I practice with just a mouthpiece on the way to/from work sometimes. I can wrap my hand around the back to restrict the airflow somewhat, to give some pressure. It all sounds horrible though. Opening the windows helps some, but then at a stoplight I lay off so the people won't hear it! Oh, and crank up the radio! For me this is all embouchure strengthening and some tonal bending, and diaphragm strengthening, so there's a lot there! Can't practice fingering though. Actually, I sometimes do that when in bed going to sleep, just fingering the air! And I think that's absolutely valid!

-BHM

·
Registered
56 Posts
Play stuff on it. Anything you want, scales, tunes. You should be able to play at last an octave and up to a 10th on the mouthpiece alone.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
+1 for mfry

Check out Dave Liebmans website he has some useful topics about practicing there and yes, 10th is the interval you should be able to play on the mouthpiece only. That's what Joe Allard used to say. Nobody really know whether he meant major or minor 10th though lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts