Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading up on some old threads in the forums someone suggested a mouthpiece for my horn which has a large chamber. I figured I would try a large chamber mouthpiece and see if I see a difference. The sound or the change I am looking for isn't my question but rather how do you know if a mouthpiece has a large chamber inside of it with out actually looking at it? I have seen mention of tip openings and occasionally someone here on the forums will describe the chamber size that a given model has but how am I to know if buying over the web ? What would indicate to me that a mouthpiece has a large chamber?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Mostly you need to look at them, but there are other ways to find out. Theo Wanne's website has descriptions and pictures of some mouthpieces. Some manufacturers will describe the chamber size. Or you can just ask here. Most common mouthpieces someone here can tell you about (although there are sometimes differences of opinion). There are probably threads about this. I know that the Vandoren V16 HR has a large chamber, while the Jody Jazz HR* has a medium/large chamber. If you know what material/sound you want, you can ask on here for large chambered-pieces that will give you that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Horn is a Buffet S1 Alto. The reason I am looking for the large chamber mouth piece is because in a post somewhere on here ( I can't relocate it) another member claimed that a larger chamber mouth piece would help with a problem someone was having with a Buffet running sharp in the upper octave.

I was a serious player many years ago and due to family and work and the lack of band jobs I ended up not playing for about 10 years. I have recently picked up the horn again getting back my chops. In my warm ups I have been practicing long tones with a tuner and have noticed that my upper octave is a but sharp. My middle register and lower is bang on but as soon as the octave key is depressed I get a little sharp and I am trying to compensate. I am sure that as I get back into form the intonation will get better, and granted I might be nit-picking as I am trying to get the pitch perfect according to the tuner but that is the point of the exercise, right? But for this question lets pretend that my intonation and form are fine and that it is my mouth piece that is causing the slight problem. I am currently playing on the mouthpiece that came in the box ( as Paul Desmond once said) which is marked Buffet and I think it said Brillhart towards the back but with no numbers that I can see for size or model. I also use an Otto Link STM 5* but until I get back to my old form I find that I get very tired quickly when using it and it requires more effort to keep the pitch after a short period of time playing. The Otto link also seems sharp but not as much so as the Brillhart (which is hard rubber ). As I said , it could be any number of factors with the intonation in the upper register which is slight. The Tuner is reading that it is off 10% maybe 20% in the worst case. I am sure we could discuss all possibilities for the slightly sharp pitch blaming horn, form or even that it could be because of the old tuner but I really was curious about how someone knows the dimensions and size of the mouth piece so I can find a large chamber mouthpiece. Any suggestions for a cheap mouthpiece that might help me reign in my upper register?

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Your tag line says you are playing on a Link 5*. So you already have a relatively large chamber mouthpiece.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 is Large? I was unaware of where a "5" fit in on the scale AND that the 5 represented the chamber size. But again like I stated I have to work my way up to playing with the Otto link again as it takes more effort to control it than I have at the moment. Interesting though that the link , when I have tried it was better than the stock mouthpiece but I am not sure how big the chamber is on that Buffet/brillhart mouthpiece is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
That is the tip opening and not the chamber size. I have a Buffet mouthpiece (D) that came with the S-1 in the 1970s and it is not a large chamber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the tip opening and not the chamber size. I have a Buffet mouthpiece (D) that came with the S-1 in the 1970s and it is not a large chamber.
If your Buffet mouthpiece is similar to mine in terms of chamber size, then my ability to control the intonation better with the otto link in the upper register makes sense. Now my quest will be to find a large chamber , easy blowing mouthpiece that is also cheap ( I have kids in diapers and bills to pay so there are no $300 mouthpieces for me ). I am not sure what sound I am looking for because for the moment I am just practicing in the garage for my own enjoyment. Soon it will be section work in a big band so I guess nothing that "cuts" through to much. But mostly this is an experiment in trying a large chamber mouthpiece so I can see how it effects the horn. If the large chamber helps me achieve what I am hoping to accomplish then I can start looking for a good mpc which is large chambered and has a sound to my liking. For the moment this is just meant to be an cheap experiment to try someones suggestion for helping a sharp upper register.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I case anyone is still following this, I went and looked at the Buffet mouth piece which I thought was a Brillhart and after removing the ligature discovered it is a Beechler and it has a marking of 7S on it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
SpaceGuppy:

Your Beechler is probably a medium or small chamber mouthpiece.

It's not hard to find a large chamber alto mouthpiece. If you read up on mouthpieces via Theo Wanne's site, you'll get a lot of good info. Personally, I have too many of these sorts of pieces. You can find them on eBay fairly frequently for about $25 to $40. Or message me and I email you directly with what I have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Your Otto Link is a large chambered mp. According to a tip opening chart a 5* is a 85 opening (in 1000th of inches) and a Beechler 7 is a 85 too! Maybe worthwhile to try your link. It might save you some bucks.

Reine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts