·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,554 Posts
Lemon juice still contains acid.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm interested in the answer if there is one. Mine would be to learn to love that green. That's what I decided to do.
Yeah, I think I will have to like it as it is a Brian Powell tweaked mouthpiece that came out really good and works for me. I'm wondering if some types of HR do it worse than others. Also it was on my desk in the sunlight some, I'm wondering if that did it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,554 Posts
Also it was on my desk in the sunlight some, I'm wondering if that did it.
Yep - and if you want it to have a nice tan line, leave the ligature in place.

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so that's probably it - sunlight. It's odd that one did it and the other not. I was keeping the tenor and sop on the corner of my desk next to where I practice but the tenor is fine. The soprano looks like it was on vacation for a few weeks in Rio. It does have a bit of a tan line from wearing it's lig.

And by the way I know someone that sounds great on a level air.:)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
ok, so that's probably it - sunlight. It's odd that one did it and the other not. I was keeping the tenor and sop on the corner of my desk next to where I practice but the tenor is fine. The soprano looks like it was on vacation for a few weeks in Rio. It does have a bit of a tan line from wearing it's lig.

And by the way I know someone that sounds great on a level air.:)
You're lucky sunlight discoloration is sometimes accompanied with an odor so foul you wouldn't want it near your mouth.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Take some plain toothpaste and a cotton towel and hand buff it back to a googd shine...and then keep a little oil of some type ,,olive,,,mineral,,,or some cooking type will help keep it a little longer . Jim

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take some plain toothpaste and a cotton towel and hand buff it back to a googd shine...and then keep a little oil of some type ,,olive,,,mineral,,,or some cooking type will help keep it a little longer . Jim
thanks - I'll give that a try. I was starting to feel like a bad boy for using it as a paper weight and stinking it up in the sunlight.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,518 Posts
Lemon juice still contains acid.
and in about the same proportion as vinegar...........

thanks - I'll give that a try. I was starting to feel like a bad boy for using it as a paper weight and stinking it up in the sunlight.
Exposure to sunlight and the consequent heat could also cause some discolouration. While I doubt that the occasional immersion in ordinary cooking vinegar (5% or 6% on average in most countries in the world ) would be the culprit.

Anyway, mild abrasives (such as toothpaste) would indeed remove most if not all the discolouration but even if they wouldn't .......the mouthpiece would play just as well.

Any oil would do, if you are leaning towards a pleasant scent rubbing in some good , natural (no chemical stuff) lemon oil will do both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,518 Posts
But , as you previously suggested , you might rinse the vinegar OR the lemon juice after they have performed the descaling action. There would be no smell left in either case.

Vinegar is way cheaper and more easily and readily available than lemon juice, but if you insist ........use lemon juice , although there is no advantage over using vinegar since they both contain about the same percentage in acid(s) so the effect on discolouration would be the same (if there would be any, but I dispute that).

Sunlight is an absolute enemy for vulcanised rubber.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts