Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am using a Rosie metal baritone mouthpiece with a Selmer 404 ligature But have trouble finding a fitting mouthpiece-cap. It should fit well (not fall off) and ideally help to keep the reed moist. All of my caps are earthier to big or to short. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
On my Rosie bari piece I use a cloth ligature which came with its own cap. It's made by BG (Franck Bichon). Its part number is LF J9; it was supplied along with the mouthpiece by the mouthpiece maker. It's in fact a slim tenor ligature, so if you want to find just a cap which fits your current ligature check among the tenor ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
The important part about a cap is the ligature. You cant use a cap for a Rovner-type lig because the opening is too wide to grasp the ligature and be secure. You'll have to find a cap for a metal baritone piece with regular ligature. Probably a Yanagisawa cap is your best bet.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Hey this works..on Bari I play a Berg metal, it's very slim, I have a simple metal 2 screw nickel-plate ligature, the thing is perfectly fitted, shaped somewhat like a 404, I think it's off a Guardala LT tenor mpc....fits like it was made for the berg bari stainlesss. I know a 404 would fit perfectly too as I use a 404 on my Tenor mpc.

Anyway I simply wrap a thick rubber band on a slim generic split plastic cap for a Rovner-type lig, mine might be for a tenor ?? .....this tightens the cap up enough to grip on my metal Berg baritone mpc.

Seems correct caps are becoming hard to find, and expensive..
Btw..I have what you want, but it's mint and Silver-plated (stored in a baggie) and just way too pretty to use (drop).....I keep it for the apocalypse, but you can have it for $100....:whistle:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey this works..on Bari I play a Berg metal, it's very slim, I have a simple metal 2 screw nickel-plate ligature, the thing is perfectly fitted, shaped somewhat like a 404, I think it's off a Guardala LT tenor mpc....fits like it was made for the berg bari stainlesss. I know a 404 would fit perfectly too as I use a 404 on my Tenor mpc.

Anyway I simply wrap a thick rubber band on a slim generic split plastic cap for a Rovner-type lig, mine might be for a tenor ?? .....this tightens the cap up enough to grip on my metal Berg baritone mpc.

Seems correct caps are becoming hard to find, and expensive..
Btw..I have what you want, but it's mint and Silver-plated (stored in a baggie) and just way too pretty to use (drop).....I keep it for the apocalypse, but you can have it for $100....:whistle:
The Rubber Band is a good idea, thanks!

I would totally take you up on that $100 offer, but the silver plating would clash with the rhodium plating of my mouthpiece, so I sadly and regrettably have to refuse.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Well a DG (guardala-type) tenor cap works too and looks better than the rubber banded Rov thing.

But I won't rob my DG for it's cap, and the only other one I have is on my Vigilante tenor mpc.

I saw the Plastic tenor caps that would work on eBay for 12 Bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts