Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this model is no longer on offer from the mouthpiece guys ( possibly because Morgan acquired the original molds from M C Gregory, and I think plan on offering new production from them). At any rate, I got one used recently, and thought I’d offer a review. I should preface this by saying I used to own an actual M C Gregory mouthpiece, the same model Desmond played. The one I had was quite stuffy and while I can do a half assed Desmond impersonation, I never enjoyed the way I sounded on the actual Gregory I had. The Take Five is an entirely different animal however. While one can do a fair Desmond imitation on it (if you never heard him live, you’d be shocked at how big his alto sound actually was), it is capable of a goodly variety of colors as well. Far from being a one trick pony. This piece is really flexible, projects well, is reed friendly and is a great be bop piece. It is a bit darker than their NYC Meyer copy, but fully capable of holding its own in any straight ahead Jazz context. If you see one in the used market, pick it up, I think you’ll enjoy it as I do.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Their website shows 3 pieces left before they disappear. I have one of these and it is a fun mouthpiece to have. This piece has a little resistance, and can be played softly and still very much in control. And yes, you can project with it if that is your goal. I do not sound like Desmond when I play it, but it gets me closer to his sound than other pieces I have tried. I agree, it is very reed friendly and flexible. I have only seen one or two on the used market in the past 2 years, so if you are interested in this mouthpiece, you might want to grab one of the last 3.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sounds right up my alley, Paul Desmond and Art Pepper (see the website blurb) is something I would like to aim for as far as sound. The problem is I am still a bit too new to the saxophone game and I am desperately trying to avoid GAS.😀

I wants it. I wants it badly.

In twelve months time... I know, too late by then. I'll have to live with the loss.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Thanks for the reviews. I wonder how it'd compare to my Phil-Tone Solstice, which is also a really great piece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts