Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mouthpiece Cafe NYC vs. Refaced 90s Meyer

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  super20dan 
#1 ·
In the clips below, I'm playing the same tune (Bird's solo on KC Blues) on two different mouthpieces using the same reed, ligature, and saxophone (an 80's Keilwerth Toneking).

Please listen and let me know which one you prefer (and why).

Refaced Meyer 7

Mouthpiece Cafe NYC 7

A little background:

The Meyer 7 played in the clip above is one that I bought in when I was in high school, a couple of years after starting to play the saxophone (in the early 90's). I played this mouthpiece almost exclusively on alto until about a year ago.

I had largely quit playing alto twenty years ago to focus on tenor (and later soprano), and when I started playing alto again about a year and a half ago, I found this mouthpiece a bit unfocused and lacking power. So, after trying out a variety of mouthpieces, I settled on the Mouthpiece Cafe NYC 7 that has been my main alto piece for the last year.

Recently, I tried playing the Meyer again and didn't like it at all. I considered getting rid of it or sending it out to be refaced, and then I had the wild idea to try refacing it myself to see what I could do with it.

First, I measured it and checked the table for flatness. I found that the tip opening was considerably smaller than a nominal 7 (i.e., it was about 0.070" instead of 0.080" or so), and that the table was concave.

So next, I decided to flatten the table, and to try to copy the facing curve from my MC NYC 7 on this mouthpiece.

I did a decent job of copying it, though the tip opening ended up being 0.001" smaller and the facing about 1mm longer than that of my MC NYC 7.

Then I tried it, and it works really well. So well, in fact, that I think I might prefer it to my NYC 7. So my dilemma is now trying to decide which one of these two mouthpieces I should use as my main piece.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Ben.

I'm not sure which I prefer. The Meyer feels more comfortable to me (probably because I played it for so many years); the beak is slightly lower, and it feels a little bit easier to control (i.e., it seems to require less adjustment to maintain a consistent timbre and intonation across the range of the horn). However, the NYC feels more powerful and a bit "punchier", and it also seems to have a bit of "grit" in the sound that I like.

I'm honestly just stoked that the Meyer came out playable at all.

#5 ·
In the end, you sound great regardless of the piece you choose. I can't detect the punchier quality you describe from this end, but that should definitely be a factor in your consideration. You apparently did a great job on the Meyer. One factor that would be important to me would be playing on hard rubber piece versus the resin or what have you material of the other piece. Meyers are great pieces, IMO, and you seemingly made yours a lot better. I listened again and definitely reiterate my previous statements. That Meyer is so harmonically rich with a profound and broad depth/array of colors.

#4 ·
I thought that they both sounded very good, with the Meyer being maybe a little darker and fatter. But I think the key is in what you wrote, "The Meyer feels more comfortable to me (probably because I played it for so many years); the beak is slightly lower, and it feels a little bit easier to control (i.e., it seems to require less adjustment to maintain a consistent timbre and intonation across the range of the horn)."
Comfort, ease of play and control seem to be great reasons for choosing a mouthpiece to play.

#6 ·
I agree with Ben. To me the NYC seems to have a sort of shrillness or brittleness, especially up high, that the Meyer doesn't. Regardless, you have a really great alto sound that reminds me a bit of Hank Crawford. It's the sound I wish I could get when I play alto but really can't which is why I focus on tenor and bari :)

#7 ·
Ben and Keith are right, you have much more tonal qualities in the Meyer. The NYC is not nearly as full sounding. Seems almost one note comparatively. Great job on the refacing! Your alto playing and sound are great, :) you should do a take of A Night in Tunisia for our TOTM :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.