Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MouthpieceGuys are proud to be opening the doors of a new venture called Mouthpiece Cafe. We are creating mouthpieces modeled after the very best vintage blanks that have been modified, customized, and optimized to play at the highest level.
We are currently offering two models for tenor sax, with alto models soon to follow. These models are currently available in a 7* tip opening, or .105". Our mouthpieces are made from the finest resin available. We searched the world to find the material that gives us properties as close to the hard rubber original as possible...with the way it looks and plays, you'll think you're playing on fined hard rubber. In fact, you may even like it better than hard rubber! In addition, our material is completely FDA approved and safe.
Please visit our new site at www.mouthpiececafe.com to check out these great new pieces- we're sure you'll love them!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
The coffee angle is an interesting slant.

·
Registered
493 Posts
can't wait for when they start production of metal pieces
Brian best of luck with this venture i'm sure it will be over run with orders
the only down side is that you'll be too busy to do all that brilliant refacing
work you do .By the way the barone hybred still plays great:D :D :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Best of luck on the new mouthpieces. I'll probably pickup one of those slants for christmas.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Me, too.

BTW---I had trouble reading your blurbs--in firefox and safari the print ran together.

Edit: it's ok now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Brian,

Best of luck with the new venture. Looking forward to your Alto efforts.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
SOTW Members:

Greetings and salutations! I am writing to tell everyone that I have had the privilege to extensively play and critique Mouthpiece Cafe's "Soloist Espresso" tenor mouthpiece over the past few months and I like to share my thoughts on the piece.

Firstly, the finish of these mouthpieces is second to none. Anyone familiar with Brian and Erik's work can attest to the fact that these men know mouthpieces, and if you've had the pleasure of having them work on your own mouthpieces you know that when they return they are completely optimized. The "Soloist Espresso" is no different: Table, rails, tip, facing curve---all perfect. As you all know, this maximizes playability.

So, the mouthpiece is delivered after being hand-perfected by Brian and Erik so you know it will need nothing in the way refacing, but how does it play? In a word: Beautifully. Response is effortless from extreme lows to extreme highs. No qualms with intonation. It's all there, everything you expect from a premium mouthpiece. Did I mention the sound??---It's to die for. The texture is deep and THICK and the sound doesn't thin out in the palm keys or get fuzzy in the low end.

The "Soloist Espresso" is definitely created to capture the vibe of the vintage Selmer Soloist mouthpieces. The website description is right on when it references the sound of great players such as Joe Henderson and Rich Perry (if only any of us could play half as well as those men!).

I don't really know what else to say about this piece other than it quickly became my main tenor piece (replacing my Lebayle Jazz and Florida Link) and I haven't looked back. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or leave a reply here. These are truly fantastic mouthpieces and at $250 they are well worth the price.

·
4,046 Posts
You get a chance to play or look at the slant. I've currently got a Soloist that Brian is working on and opening to .105.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Heath,

I haven't had a chance to play the "Bergonzi Slant Supreme" yet, but I should within the next week or so. I'm sure it'll be fantastic and I'm excited to receive it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
heath said:
You get a chance to play or look at the slant. I've currently got a Soloist that Brian is working on and opening to .105.
heath, Sorry if I missed something, but could you please explain what you mean by "You get a chance to play or look at the slant." -- Thanks.

Incidentally, it was not surprising to see this nice little quote at mouthpiececafe.com: "Your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you're not completely satisfied, you can return the mouthpiece within 14 days for a full refund (excluding shipping costs)."

·
4,046 Posts
LampLight said:
heath, Sorry if I missed something, but could you please explain what you mean by "You get a chance to play or look at the slant." -- Thanks.
Saxydude answered the question. He played the soloist and I was wondering if he had the chance to play the slant yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I think heath forgot a "?".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Thank you Martinman, and thank you too heath. I think I'm back with the program now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Martinman said:
The coffee angle is an interesting slant.
And the slant is an interesting coffee angle! :salute:
Thanks for the good wishes, guys, it's most exciting to see the first orders coming in. The first pieces will hitting customers' hands in about 2-4 weeks. Not sure about the altos yet, we're currently working up the prototypes for the altos, so no specific timeframe yet, and no waitlist. Let's say that the pieces we're using are not from a pre-existing blank. It's due to the production method we're using that they're just available in the one tip opening currently, but we do want to offer more in the future. In the course of our refacing work, a 7* would far and away be the most requested tip opening on tenor, and after doing so many in that opening and loving them, I've recently opened my personal piece from .095" to .105".
We're working hard to make these absolutely the best pieces out there, thanks for all the support.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,737 Posts
Brian, if you have a few moments could you discuss why you chose to use resin (I assume that is a nice name for plastic) rather than hard rubber for your blanks? I'm not questioning the decision, just curious since historically ebonite has been the preferred material.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
brianpowell said:
In the course of our refacing work, a 7* would far and away be the most requested tip opening on tenor, and after doing so many in that opening and loving them, I've recently opened my personal piece from .095" to .105".
Very cool. Of course, this is coming out just after I bought a "BP .100" Soloist. ;)

No complaints.

I'm curious to learn whether your statement regarding "7* would far and away be the most requested tip opening on tenor" is an observation of the average of ALL the mouthpiece work you do or whether it is favored tip opening for each (Soloist and Link HR)? I would think that the Soloist design would not favor the same tip opening as the Link.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I've found that The Soloists seem to have a point of "diminishing return" as far as tip opening. When you get them past 0.95 you lose the nice edge they offer and intonation becomes problematic.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts