Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else find theirs to be chirpy.
It’s giving me troubles on a range of reeds and strengths.
I’m actually really stating to dig this piece, but this is annoying.
My next step is to try synthetics, if that fails, off to eBay it goes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I haven’t tried this specific mouthpiece, but I’ve had tenor and alto pieces by them, and had some pieces refaced by Eric
Greiffenhagan, and think their work is superb. Have you tried going back to them and discussing this issue?

·
13,343 Posts
I have yet to see chirpy mouthpieces that didnt have an issue.

They are good guys. I cant say for sure but I think they would probably take care of it for you.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
I once worked on a DG Bari Trad that was chirpy for my client and me. I got about half of them out with facing work. I sent it back with a Fibracell reed and he agreed that I got about half of them out when he used cane and all out with the Fibracell. The facing was a little crooked near the tip rail before I fixed it.

I could have tried lowering the baffle (I had lowered it a tad near the tip rail). But this would have changed the mouthpiece character too much IMO. The asking in a lot more mouthpiece might have helped. But the seasoned pro client did not want to do that.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Anyone else find theirs to be chirpy.
It’s giving me troubles on a range of reeds and strengths.
I’m actually really stating to dig this piece, but this is annoying.
My next step is to try synthetics, if that fails, off to eBay it goes.
It's one of a couple of things, the baffle is too high by the tip, the facing is too short, or you're using too much pressure on the mouthpiece. Try taking in more. Phil Barone

·
Registered
138 Posts
for all the mouthpieces I have that I chirp on, using a Fibracell reed removes the chirps completely. Haven't had the same success with legere. Just depends whether you like the sound/response of fibracells.

·
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
As I got this piece in trade I can’t send it back to the mouthpiece guys.
I always play with a good amount of piece in my mouth, never on the tip.
I just received a glass guage, so will check facing evenness later today.
I will also try a fibracell and Legere classic to see how they perform.
Will let you know how it works out.

·
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
Well it seems I am an idiot.
I measured the facing and it is lovely and even.
Table is flat also.
I can’t tell how much or how high the material just behind the tip is as I’m not experienced enough in this department.
I played it again just now with a Hemke 3, Legere Classic 2.5 and two different fibracells, a 3 and a 3.5.
Not a chirp to be found.
I should have known better but I had only initially played this piece with already used reeds.
With most of my pieces this doesn’t present a problem, but it seemed to make all the difference with this piece.
Granted the synthetics were used but they don’t seem to take on the shape of other facings as permanently as cane reeds.
So the blame lays firmly with me.
I appreciate all the suggestions all the same.

I will now go hang my head in shame and write 100 times on the chalkboard “try a new reed before looking for blame elsewhere.”.
Nick.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,904 Posts
“try a new reed before looking for blame elsewhere.”

Amen to that....I always recommend going with a fresh reed. We've all been there before... :)

·
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
“try a new reed before looking for blame elsewhere.”

Amen to that....I always recommend going with a fresh reed. We've all been there before... :)
Yeah
You’d think I would have learned by now.
Maybe all those welding fumes have started to take their toll.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,904 Posts
Lol.

It’s funny, things we know not to do we often do. I find myself doing these things all the time.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,942 Posts
I have one and wish I had seen this thread earlier. Yes, I don’t doubt that you found the facing to measure perfect. So the facing is slightly aggressive, and the tip baffle is fairly high, so the piece requires a good reed.

I exchanged a few emails with Erik about mine, and he offered to either slow down the facing or lower the baffle, but also advised that he uses Legere signature reeds himself.

·
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the Legere Classic I tried was a nice match also as it tamed the buzz a little.
Hemke 3’s work well with it also.
Given the option I would perhaps have looked into having Eric bring down the baffle directly behind the tip, but for the moment it is coming along nicely for me so I dont want to mess with it yet.

·
1,942 Posts
I bought mine too big, the .120. Probably at 110 or 115 it would be my favorite mouthpiece.

Looks like you can’t get these at all now.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,244 Posts
I recently had an espresso alto that sounded okay but never quite right. My tech took a look and laughed. I grabbed it from someone who bought it new less than a month before and had only played it a few times. Moved it along to someone interested in refacing. They also allowed me to return a new tenor piece I’d purchased a few years ago after the second facing came back sub par. I know they make some great pieces, but the two I’ve owned had bad facings.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Seems strange that touted refacers would make mouthpieces with bad facings.
It’s the reason I stay with the gold old originals.

·
1,942 Posts
Well, mine doesn't have a bad facing. It is exactly what it's supposed to be, a big round chamber with a short facing and high tip baffle. Extremely well finished and reasonably priced.

·
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I measured mine I’m pretty sure it had a facing length of 52 (26mm).
Is this considered a short facing on baritone?
Also perhaps that is where my problem lays in that pieces with a significant baffle are said to play better with longer facings.
Not sure how true this is, but I read it on SOTW so it must be factual.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts