Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the road for a few days but thought I'd take my mouthpiece for some buzzing exercises. What range should I be able to get from just buzzing (without 'extending' the length of the mouthpiece with my hand to help get lower notes!).

I have not done this since I was a kid and then it was on the clarinet.

The range I am currently getting is 'B above middle C' to the next A above that.

I do not have any trouble controlling the pitch, but I suspect the range should be considerably better.

I'm also curious as to what the mechanism is to achieve the pitch control - I have my method which works very easily and gives me lots of control but I'm not sure if it is correct.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that is a very helpful article. It sounds as though an octave is fairly typical however I have seen a youtube video where the player uses a soprano sax mouthpiece because he is able to get a better range for sake of the demonstration - which I would guess covers a couple of octaves. What range have others managed to get doing this exercise? Presumably using certain mouthpieces and harder reeds would help.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Thanks that is a very helpful article. It sounds as though an octave is fairly typical however I have seen a youtube video where the player uses a soprano sax mouthpiece because he is able to get a better range for sake of the demonstration - which I would guess covers a couple of octaves. What range have others managed to get doing this exercise? Presumably using certain mouthpieces and harder reeds would help.
Yes, soprano is easiest IMO. I don't know about using certain mouthpieces, however I don't think it would be good to switch mouthpieces just to get better "results" from mouthpiece exercises, use your regular mouthpiece: the point of course is to improve your saxophone playing rather than wee how good you can be at mouthpiece exercises!

Similarly, I wouldn't use harder reeds though, just the reeds you normally use to play.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
On a tenor or alto mouthpiece, a range of a 12th is possible, but what is is more important is that you have full control of pitch, articulation, and dynamics within that range. Not easy. Treat it like a mini instrument and you'll be amazed what happens when you put it back on the sax.

Also, there is really only one way to make this large range happen technically, so if you can do it at all, you are doing it right.

·
Registered
146 Posts
With correct embochure relaxness you should be able to play even octave higher altissimo notes with only your mouthpiece. An Octave + 4th is ok with tenor.
Mouthpiece buzzing is really good for proper voicing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts