Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm hoping one of the seasoned/experienced players could maybe help with this.

I have been playing the Alto Sax now for about 8 months. I am playing a brand new (at the time) YAS-26 and am using a new Yamaha
4C mouthpiece.When I first started I was using a Rico "Orange Box" 2.5. I could only play for about 10-15 minutes before my embouchure was too
tired to get a note out. I went back to a 2.0 as it felt more comfortable, was a lot easier for me to play, and I could play for longer.

Fast forward to today.....
Now I can usually play/practice for roughly an hour before my embouchure gets tired enough to want to put the horn down for a break but I have noticed lately that about 1/2 HR in to my practice session, the reed starts to sound stuffy and gets
unresponsive. I have tried with 3 different new reeds out the same box, and they all end up doing the same thing. Excess moisture in the mouthpiece or the bow is not the issue.

I have tried stepping up to the "Orange Box" 2.5 and my tone seems to sound better and the reed is a lot more responsive, but I find I'm still having to work a lot harder and my embouchure gets tired a lot faster.
My questions are.....
Should I stick with the 2.0 in these early stages ?
Should I step up to the 2.5 to keep my embouchure working to build on strength ?
Should I stick with the 2.0 and maybe step up to the 5C facing ? Or is this too early ?

Thanks in anticipation,
AltoNoob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete,
What I meant was excess moisture in the end of the mouthpiece, I didn't even think about excess moisture in the reed. I didn't think it was possible to have a reed that was too wet, unless we were dunking our mouthpieces in glasses of water......
I'll check it for flatness next time it starts to get unresponsive.

While I'm here, I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your previous assistance. It was your online "YouTube" video that taught me my first notes and blues scales to get me 'kick-started' on the horn. Since then I've been going strong and never looked back. I never thought I'd be speaking to the man himself !

Thanks again, Maestro !
AltoNoob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts