Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my opinion with other Venova owners !
After some experimentation with different reeds and a few mouthpieces, I settled with the combination Yamaha 6C mouthpiece + Friedrick Hemke 2.5 reeds. The two main advantages of this setting are:
- The Yamaha 6C mouthpiece improves the overall intonation compared to the standard 4C.
- The Hemke reeds are "dark" sounding and in my personal opinion this helps the Venova to achieve a more realistic saxophone sound.
Last but not least, this is an easy to play combo !

·
Registered
128 Posts
The included Yamaha 4C soprano sax mouthpiece with a weird semi-translucent plastic reed was near impossible for me to play. I can't imagine this situation helps create a positive first impression. The instrument is challenging enough! After trying a number of soprano sax mouthpiece and reed combos I arrived a very nice solution, for me at least. An Otto Link hard rubber 8 with a Fibracell 3.5 (the best of three on hand). La Voz Mediums were OK but I did like the no-hassle of a synthetic. This is supposed to be a fun thing and stressing over cane reeds isn't. With a wide open mouthpiece and a flexible reed, bending notes and dynamics were greatly improved. Be aware that a shorter length mouthpiece like the 4C and the Link are much more in tune than the longer Rico Metalite I tried. Now if I can only master a chromatic scale on this ax!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts