Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm currently at a cross road trying to purchase a mouthpiece for my tenor sax.

I've been playing for about 6 years. I love a well rounded tone. Something that's full and rich and even on all octaves ( I know that I have a large role to play here)

I cur5rently own a Julius Keilwerth Ex-90 series III horn (black and gold)

I've gone through a lot of threads and I'm considering the following:

1. Otto Link Metal New York Series (7)
2. Guardala MBII
3. Otto Link New Vintage (7)

Should I be looking at any other options??

I really need to know your thoughts.

Thanks a mill in advance.

NB: I do not have the luxury of visiting shops to test these. We really do not have these shops in my country. I'm looking at buying from wwbw.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi Efsax. That's a pretty wide spectrum from the Guardala to the Otto Link NY.

Well that Keilwerth may be a dark horn since you're going with WWBW maybe you can try 2 or 3 at once if you have the room on your card.

Maybe take a look at the Vandoren V16 T 75. I've read good things about it on here. Don't settle for the T77 though.

Theo Wanne has some nice looking mouthpieces. Expensive though. Looks like he has a new model out half the price of most of his other ones. Didn't want to try the Wannes . Cause if I liked them. I would be trying to sleep at night thinking about them. I have held them in my hand. About five of the metal ones.

Also look at Ponzol ML . Never tried Peter's mouthpieces. Haven't talked to him in years. Nice guy though and a great player.

The Yanigasawa may interest you. Now this one I tried. Ok I guess.

The only Jody Jazz that may fit the bill I think would be the newest one the Chi or Chicago DV. I played this one. A very bright yet full sounding mouthpiece. Personally I play the gold DV and I'm naturally biased toward it. I don't recommend it because it's very very bright and a little difficult to get used to. The CHI is silver plated. Go to Jody's site and read the hype.

So now do your research and narrow it down and give em a go.

If you weren't limited to WWBW I would say talk to Uncle Phil (Phil Barone). He'll probably help you even if you don't buy one of his. Talk to him anyway and you'll learn something

I heard Sakshama makes some nice lost wax mouthpieces. Who wouldn't want a Florida Link copy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Don't forget the Ricos. The Metalite is a great piece (under $30) and the Graftonite is good too (under $20). You would probably like a 7 tip (.105"). Cheap but good.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Hello all,

I'm currently at a cross road trying to purchase a mouthpiece for my tenor sax.

I've been playing for about 6 years. I love a well rounded tone. Something that's full and rich and even on all octaves ( I know that I have a large role to play here)
You are going to get a lot of different opinions and recommendations here, so your choice is now likely to widen if anything.

But first of all, what is your current mouthpiece and what do you feel is wrong with it?

You say you want a well rounded tone, that could be interpreted differently by different people, so something a bit more specific would be useful. Also you mention "even on all octaves", unless you mean intonation, the evenness of tone is more down to the player and horn than the mouthpiece, in my experience.

Whatever people recommend, don't forget we are all different, and what works for one person, or helps one person get a specific sound, may not help another person get that same sound.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Try those new Wannes...
I highly recommend the HR Brahma&Datta.
Yes,they are more expensive but they are "pro" mouthpieces,no doubt about that.
Brahma is for those who like mouthpieces with some resistance (much like the Otto Links at your list) and Datta for those who like very open mouthpieces with loads of power.
I´ve tryed all the mouthpieces at your list and my opinion is that these Wannes are way better than any piece on that list and I would recommend you to try HR Brahma 7*.
Good luck!

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
If you are going to try a Wanne, and you want an even sound in all Registers, then regardless of the horn, I would recommend looking at a Hollywood Barone, with a 6 or 7 tip opening at their current price of around $380 they are a steal.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
That's a pretty wide spectrum from the Guardala to the Otto Link NY..
That was my thought also. Efsax, going from a Link to that Guardala, you've almost covered the entire spectrum. So we could probably list 100 different mpcs to cover that spectrum. I think you need to get a bit more specific about the tone you're looking for, the type of music you're playing, the sound concept you have (maybe list some players), and what mpcs you've been playing. Even then, you'll get dozens of recommendations, but that might at least narrow it down a bit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes links sound great on keilwerths. The metal ones seem to do something nice, while the HR can be a bit more spread and dark on keilwerths than most folks want. NVS might be cool. I'd suggest trying them all out, narrow your search, and when you know which piece you're leaning towards, do a second trial so you can find one that plays well.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think the New Vintage Tone Edge will be a good match for your Keilwerth, they have more pop than your typical Tone Edge or NY STM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your time and advice so far...

I currently use the stock mouthpiece that came with the Saxophone. Its a Julius Keilwerth (I think). I personally feel it has a kinda stuffy feel.. Can't seem to get the notes at the extremes to play properly (high and low). I have also tried differnt reed types and sizes, all to no avail.

Also, Like earlier stated, these shops are not in my country and I will be stuck with whatever choice I make.

I like the sound of John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Joshua Redman, Kirk Whalum, to name a few.

Thanks once again for your time....

I eagerly await your response.

(Also, I don't know if this is the right place. But i'm also in the market for MPCs for my soprano and alto saxophones. I play a yanagisawa curved soprano sax with a selmer c* mouthpiece. I'm considering the Yanagisawa HR 7 and the Morgan Vintage HR 7. I enjoy the sound of Paul Taylor, Dave Libeman, Kenny G, to name but a few.
I play a Yamaha YAS-475 Alto sax with a Bechler Belite 7 mouthpiece. The sound prodiced I feel is too "light/thin". I'm currently considering the Meyer 6m. I enjoy the sound of Cannonball Adderley, paul desmond, charlie parker, Paquito D'rivera, to name but a few.
Please let me know if i should open separate threads for these)

Thanks once again guys.... U're d best!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
If you are playing the piece that came with the horn when you started a few years ago then I would recommend a more "straight ahead key of Bb" mouthpiece before you get all crazy with Guardalas and the like. Think about developing your tone with a hard rubber ott Link 6 or 7 * before potentially harming your embouchure and tone production (could start bad habits for your developement down the road) with any high end/very specialized pieces. I would bet you are in your high school jazz band (10th or 11th grade?) ...
All the attributes you listed are achieved by the player, even on a Link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
Maybe take a look at the Vandoren V16 T 75. I've read good things about it on here. Don't settle for the T77 though... Theo Wanne has some nice looking mouthpieces. Expensive though. Looks like he has a new model out half the price of most of his other ones. Didn't want to try the Wannes . Cause if I liked them. I would be trying to sleep at night thinking about them... Also look at Ponzol ML . Never tried Peter's mouthpieces... I heard Sakshama makes some nice lost wax mouthpieces...
One of the worst mistakes you can make here on this site is to follow product recommendations from folks who never tried the products being recommended. I learned that the hard way some time ago, but thankfully not for such high end products like those mentioned above.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I forgot to add, I'm tnt in a high school jazz band.... I'm 25 and currently doing my MSC. Music is something that I do semi-professionally. I get to do a lot of gigs.

I've always been of the opinion that its best to get something very good grow into it. Am I wrong???

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I'm still wondering about somebody coming to the conclusion they need either:

or

2. Guardala MBII

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
Pete wrote: "I'm still wondering about somebody coming to the conclusion they need either:"

or

2. Guardala MBII

Depends on which sound they are after, I guess. Sounds uneducated to me, but then, that's why they're asking, isn't it?
The thing is, these sound tendencies are at nearly opposite ends of the spectrum. So it's almost impossible to make a suggestion that is meaningful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
You're right, but I'm kinda like that, though. I've got one mouthpiece for jazz and another for pop. I've recently discovered one I think can straddle the line, so I'm trying to make that my main piece, but for the OP, I'd just recommend a good jazz piece because that's what most people play, and unless he's working all the time on R&B/pop/rock gigs, chances are he'll be playing more jazz. Hence, get a Link!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi Grumps. I understand what you're saying about recommendations from someone who hasn't played certain mouthpieces.

However looking at the logistics of his situation I just threw some out there because he said he was going with WWBW.

I don't see what the big deal is if he can return the ones that he doesn't like.

He said he doesn't have access to any mouthpieces locally.

I just tried to throw a variety out there and tried to list mouthpieces that WWBW carried to make it easier for him.

I play a Jody Jazz DV and I said they are difficult to adjust to so I didn't recommend those.

He stated that he tried a NY Link and a Guardala so I threw a variety out there and like I said if they don't work out, send them back.

So what would you recommend?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts