Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, life long Link player here. My current piece is a GS 7* Reso. But, for my main gig, I really need something that sounds like a Berg. Ideally it would have the same size and shape as my Link, but that aggressiveness and grit of the Berg (think Sam Butera/Jr. Walker). Any thoughts about where to look would be great.

Any thoughts about this would be MUCH appreciated.
Best,
Max

PS: I tried a Klum New London and found it too dark for this specific purpose

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Ummm....

Try a Berg? Seems like that would be the closest simulation of a Berg?

What chamber, anyway? A berg is not a berg is not a berg. A #3 chamber is very different from a #0.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ummm....

Try a Berg? Seems like that would be the closest simulation of a Berg?

What chamber, anyway? A berg is not a berg is not a berg. A #3 chamber is very different from a #0.
I don't like the size and shape of Bergs. I much prefer the size and shape of a Link. I want the sound of a Berg, that classic Butera/Jr. Walker thing, in the shape of a Reso. Thus the post. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
OK, for the few Link haters here, first, what is a 'GS Reso'? is it a metal piece like a Super Tone Master? There are only about a hundred mouthpieces in the shape of a link but with a little more baffle for more projection.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I payed a HR berg for a few years but it was one of the more mellow chambers. I really liked it but not sure if I could claim to be able to pin point the "berg sound"

Having said that, if you're looking for a link but with more projection and edge you could try a few relatively cheap mpcs like a D'addario select jazz (it's loud and definitely has some sizzle) or maybe a V16 or Java . Maybe a Link NVS would work? It'll definitely have more cut than a reso tone.

good luck!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would recommend an RPC though those are harder to find now since Ron passed away :-(

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Interesting that you found the Ted Klum New London dark, I was worried that it might be too bright. I've been considering one as a match for my RPC which has a fair amount of bite when needed but plenty dark when required. I also don't understand the supposed difference between a Link sound and Berg sound but people talk with such authority about it..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,097 Posts
My 10mfan Chameleon model is full sized and has more sizzle and punch than any Link.
Or any berg! Highly recommend the chameleon as somebody who has loved links and played bergs. The chameleon put an end to that, because it can blow dark or bright as Lenny Pickett. I sold my bergs once I got my chameleon.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Softer reed and blow harder.
You can play any mouthpiece bright with the right reed.
Usually when I play a gig where I’d feel I need a brighter sound there’s a microphone involved so that kicks the brightness up on its own.
I know there’s some great players who’ve played Bergs but every one who I’ve heard I wish they were playing something else. They always have a certain sound to me like it’s about ready to let out an awful squeak.
I had that feeling when I tried a couple.
I have heard and played a few hard rubber Bergs I liked.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Saxscape Downtown and Hudson models are bright, Reso sized pieces that play great. There is a Downtown model on ebay now with a buy-it-now price of $80.00 (not my listing).

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Interesting that you found the Ted Klum New London dark, I was worried that it might be too bright. I've been considering one as a match for my RPC which has a fair amount of bite when needed but plenty dark when required. I also don't understand the supposed difference between a Link sound and Berg sound but people talk with such authority about it..
I have a New London and it is a fantastic piece, but not real bright. Like a 2 chamber Berg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,572 Posts
I have a New London and it is a fantastic piece, but not real bright. Like a 2 chamber Berg.
FWIW, when I contacted Ted Klum about it, I learned that the chamber was 1.5 by their design. It was also the loudest mouthpiece I’ve ever played - I failed at reining it in to balance with my band. Highly recommended for doing what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies! I'm the first to acknowledge that sound begins with the player...That said, there's a reason why Trane played a Link and Sonny or Jan played a Berg. They do different things. I'm just looking for a hybrid that let's me avoid changing my embouchure switching between gigs...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,572 Posts
Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies! I'm the first to acknowledge that sound begins with the player...That said, there's a reason why Trane played a Link and Sonny or Jan played a Berg. They do different things. I'm just looking for a hybrid that let's me avoid changing my embouchure switching between gigs...
Oh, you mean one of those pieces that is confused about what it wants to be, and does neither really well?

If it is a matter of wanting both worlds and minimizing the difference in mouthpiece feel, consider the HR versions of Links and Bergs. Or just get something with its own voice, and make it yours. There are many pieces with a mild baffle and large(r) chamber, for example a Lamberson SB.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
FWIW, when I contacted Ted Klum about it, I learned that the chamber was 1.5 by their design. It was also the loudest mouthpiece I’ve ever played - I failed at reining it in to balance with my band. Highly recommended for doing what it is supposed to do.
Doc, Wasn't that a London and not a New London ? Adam Niewood is playing on one who is a Link guy. Ted also can adjust baffle heights if need be but I have a stock version.
How bout this, I currently have a Gaia 3 and a New London. I find the Gaia brighter. Don't tell me that it's a 1 chamber Berg,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts