1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
313 Posts
Cool website Ben! I like the motive post. I feel pretty strongly that utilizing motives as a basis for improv (especially when they come directly from the melody) is the best way to retain a strong melodic sense. This goes hand in hand, I believe, with your post on writing out a solo exercise/etude. Focused and incremental melodic variation and development are foundational aspects of improvisation that seem left out of a large body of available published material. Then again, I don't buy "how to imrov" books anymore. There is so much material on a recording of your favorite tune, there's no need to waste the money on books that "short circuit" the ears.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The difference is that your content has real practical application, as opposed to a lot of theoretical info that doesn't really do anything. Using motives and developing ideas in depth via solo etudes go a long way toward developing melodic sense which I believe will trump encyclopedic scale knowledge every time. But who an I telling! Again, good stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts