Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I saw Zappa live in the 60's at the Masonic Lodge here in Toronto. Back then you could just line up and go to
a concert and stand in the front in front of the stage..no security, everyone was stoned and happy and digging the music.
At that concert I just walked backstage and all the musicians were just hanging out including Frank and getting high whatever. No one bothered you. I saw the Doors, the Who, Manfred Mann and many more bands like that. Also Jazz concerts
were $5.00 at the Ontario Place Forum, I saw Ella,Tony Bennit, Jr.Walker and the AllStars, James Brown....etc all up close
for five bucks.....ah as the song states "Things Ain't What They Used To Be"

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great stuff. I love the electric sax duet intro. This was edited out of the old posting on YouTube of this concert. My friend showed it me yesterday and it made me so happy.

The Hospital Bed is a great Da Da touch...a prop..however Don Preston has a little lie down after drinking a strange brew. His solo blows my mind.

The original Mothers were the perfect and best interpreters of Zappas music. Their sensibilities and humour were genuine and funny and their playing just on the right side of raw...nothing here has dated at all. I always found Zappas later groups although terrific musicians very self concious in this department. I'm only into the band up to and including Hot Rats and a little of Chungas Revenge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
more tambourine

·
Registered
297 Posts
Let's hear it for Frank and his defense of artistic freedom of expression! Anybody remember the PMRC?

Geez, I'm OLD!

Thanks for the links, Michael.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ahhhh! Thank you Michael. I agree with you about The Mothers as the finest of Zappa's bands (and favorite all time band) I like them a little later then you. I hung with Zappa until Overnight Sensation...probably because I was a teenager then. Grand Wazoo has some good stuff (including Ernie Watts as I recall).

By the way: Zappa's solo on this is something else too.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I do like Overnight Sensation..good horns on that. I still have that one. I guess it was something to do with the 60's. I prefer the " sound" of the recordings of the original band. Same with Beefheart. I love Trout Mask but the later Ice Cream for Crow etc sound too clean and digital. I like the warmth in the old records.

Also the core original Mothers had been a band before Frank renamed them the Mothers. I think this had something to do with the vibe between the players.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too right. There is a great description of the residency at the Garrick theatre in the Ant Bee book by the guys themselves. The amount of acid and leapers that Bunk, Roy ( especially Roy) took it's amazing they are still around playing but they are. There is a great passage where Bunk buys a car to drive back to California and enroute he has a 2 way conversation with the car. The car says he/she won't make it back and sure enough it blows the big end.

I think Kritavi on here saw them with Rahsaan Kirk. This band and the classic Sun Ra band ( Gilmore. Patrick and Allen) who were also in residency in New York at the time are my favourites.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I always found Zappas later groups although terrific musicians very self concious in this department. I'm only into the band up to and including Hot Rats and a little of Chungas Revenge.
My impression is that Zappa was a very tyrannic band leader. Perhaps that is why in the end, he turned to his Synclavier to make music. What do you think of Zappa Plays Zappa? I hear it's spot on. Dweezil Zappa is taking advantage of his father's legacy. Nothing wrong with that I guess but I'm sure it's similarly meticulous and over-rehearsed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
I've always dug the Mothers,,,,

I saw them when Kirk sat-in at Boston Globe Jazz Fest. In the late 60's. Kirk played " King Kong" as well as " Louie Louie".

Zappa is one of the most important and influential musicians of the 20th Century. Zappa's music is engaging, and compelling, and carries an important message.A life long compositional-art-music-improv intriguing fable that's sure to open interesting and thoughtful discussions for decades and decades.

It's no surprize Michael Ward loves Zappa etc...the sympatico in our tastes ( and many others here on SOTW ) is something of great interest and respect. KEEP ON !!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
I would not call him a jazz musician and I am sure he never thought of himself as that.
YUP- I did not intend to either- I fixed it. I meant...MUSICIANS .

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tim I would really like to know what contemporary equipment you are using to electrify your bassoon. I was on a site of a contemporary bass clarinetist who you will know and he was using some very cool equipment but I've forgotten the name.

I know you hung out when Ian Underwood was playing too I recall.

The Mothers of Invention have always had a big impact on me . I love the combination of irreverent da da , satire ,jazz, garage rock n roll , do wop and contemporary classical music..Great art and nothing has dated at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,079 Posts
This rules. Thank you.

I listened to tons of Zappa in high school and early college, and he's definitely one of my big early influences to study music seriously. The guy got all of it-- the technique and science behind it, the power of the aesthetic element, and the sociocultural significance of it. He is a hero of music, for real.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
200 Motels is one of the most underrated films of all time...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts