Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My underbite is finally making life very difficult, so I'm probably going to have to have orthognathic surgery. This procedure sounds terrifying, but I'm told the end result will be great. Any thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
.......yes, " In bocca....... al lupo............e crepi.......il lupo! "

how should I translate that in English? ..........mmmmmmmm......break a leg ? :mrgreen:............well, maybe better not to be breaking a leg, on top of everything else! Be well!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Don't do it get a second third and 4th opinion look for alternative things such as Rolphing and massage it helped me with my TMG

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 27. I had braces about 10 years ago, and that worked wonderfully...for a while. Unfortunately, my lower jaw continued to protrude and I went back to where I started. Which is where I am now.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm gonna resurrect one of my OWN old threads.

On January 8, 2019, I had single jaw surgery to move the upper jaw forward about 8 mm to correct the underbite. My surgeon was sympathetic to my job as a musician as well as other potential complications so we did single jaw only.
Now, my bite is PERFECT, and it feels SOOOOOO much more natural than before. I'm not yet able to chew again, or even play, but that will certainly come. The jaw must heal first for 6 to 8 weeks, and then I will be able to slowly ease back into chewing and playing. Plus the numbness of the upper jaw and lip will eventually wear off.
If anybody is ever considering doing this, I encourage you to go through with it, it WILL be worth it.

Can't wait to start playing again! :)

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Congrats on the successful surgery memphissax. :)

I'm very curious what kind of effect this will have on your sound, I guess you will notice some changes for sure.

Let's us know how it goes.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the successful surgery memphissax. :)

I'm very curious what kind of effect this will have on your sound, I guess you will notice some changes for sure.

Let's us know how it goes.
Thanks for your well wishes! I will definitely update in a few weeks, the six week post-op point is a real benchmark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,929 Posts
Hope the healing progress is going well and you’re feeling better.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yes I too hope your healing is going well, you feel better, and you're able to play with much success with a great sound!:)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

There is very little to NO pain now, all that remains is the numb sensation on the upper lip. However, that is now more of a tingly feeling, which both my surgeon and my orthodontist say is a good thing-it means the normal feeling will definitely come back :)

The surgeon wants me to remain off the horn for the remainder of February, then slowly resume playing in March. The goal is to be back at full capacity by April :)

I'll update more in March :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm updating earlier than I said

Today is six weeks (to the day) post surgery. Doc was very pleased with my healing progress, the incisions have all healed very nicely and everything looks great!

He said I can ease back into chewing food, starting with soft foods like scrambled/fried eggs, pasta, etc (ie "Don't start licking your chops for a steak just yet LOL). I can also resume more heightened physical activity (yay running), but most importantly...I can also resume limited saxophone playing! As soon as I got home, I got my tenor (see signature) out with a 10mfan Classic (7*) and blew for no more than five minutes. Let's just say, it felt really good to do that again! I'll continue doing more as time goes on, and by this time next month I should hopefully back to full function.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,480 Posts
My underbite is finally making life very difficult, so I'm probably going to have to have orthognathic surgery. This procedure sounds terrifying, but I'm told the end result will be great. Any thoughts?
Listen to your Doctor especially during recovery.

·
3,929 Posts
Being able to eat solid food is a good thing. Take it easy you don’t want to break or split anything at this point. Be well.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here we are almost four months post-surgery...

ALL of the swelling has gone down, I'm eating ribeye steaks again, and have been back playing gigs for almost a month now :) Even played a few gigs on bari!

I still have some mild numbness in the upper jaw, but it is not hindering at all. AND...I may be getting the braces off in June! It's been a great experience and I'm very happy with the results!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts

ALL of the swelling has gone down, I'm eating ribeye steaks again, and have been back playing gigs for almost a month now :) Even played a few gigs on bari!

I still have some mild numbness in the upper jaw, but it is not hindering at all. AND...I may be getting the braces off in June! It's been a great experience and I'm very happy with the results!
Good to hear. After I got all four of my wisdom teeth out 2 years ago I couldn't feel my entire face for 2 months. I had 12 shows over December and January. Not one of which I could feel the mouthpiece in my mouth. Turns out my dental surgeon pinched a nerve in my jaw when he was breaking the lower teeth to get them out.

2 years later and my lower left portion of my face is still about 40% numb. Hurts when it gets really cold out and often tingles for no reason.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,316 Posts

Great!! I know you're glad to be getting back to normal.

·
3,929 Posts

That’s fantastic! I’m glad things are going well for you. It takes a long time for things to heal in the head.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts